Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows service files deleted

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jahid91

jahid91

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:13 AM

hi there,
i have a windows xp SP3 operating system and im trying to recover the syetem files but i cant do it.
i tried to do system recovery from my actual windows XP CD but the CD contains SP1(windows xp home edition) and my computer is updated to SP3 therefore when i try to do system recovery from the cd it says "the windows version i am using is newer than my actual windows cd's version"

The reason why i want to do system recovery is because i had a lot of viruses in my computer and used to take up all the RAM when i start the computer. i have used a software called "XRAY-MYPC" which scans and shows all the services and programs that running. after i scanned the pc i have deactivated and deleted some of the services & files as i thought it might not be part of the system files.

the problems i have faced after i deleted and deactivated the services is that my copy and paste dont work, my taskbar at the bottom has dissapeared, does not let me install programs, does not let me turn on the windows firewale as it sasy "It can not be displayed as associated services are not runnig".

i have lost many functions from my computer is there any way i can get all the windows services back to default.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:12 AM

Regardless of the operating system currently installed, you can perform a reformat and clean installation using your SP1 Installation CD.
After you are done installing, be sure to run all Windows updates to get the Operating System completely up to date (SP3 + updates)

Insert the Windows Install Disc into the drive, boot it and install from the Windows Setup.

More Info:

Click here for a life lesson on how to use google to find all your answers!

Using the above "google search" method, you will find that the following two pages are the TOP two results using a google search.
Learning how to search the internet will allow you to answer your own questions and you will not have to wait for an answer on a help forum.

google result 1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941

google result 2: http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installa..._windows_xp.htm

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:36 AM

IMO, the smart thing to do would be to update the XP install CD you currently have...via slipstreaming a new CD that includes SP3.

This would give you a CD that is more useful and would include all critical updates up through SP3.

Icrontic Blog Archive Slipstreaming Windows Easy - http://icrontic.com/articles/slipstreaming_windows_easy

If you decide to go that route...please read all instructions for using named software.

Louis

#4 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

i would find more easier to actualy format the whole pc but the problem i have is that i can not copy and paste using the mouse. the only way i can copy and paste folders is by using command promt.

i juts need an example of the promt i should write in CMD in order to copy a folder with its subfolders. e.g. i want to copy the C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\OWNER how would i actually copy all the subfolders in the folder to a different drive.

if i can back-up all my user documents then i can just format the whole pc again.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:02 PM

Would you please tell us what the make and model of your computer is?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

i have a dell computer dimention 4600 and its the windows xp sp3 im using at the moment

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

Just to clarify...my review of the specs for that model shows that it came with either XP Home installed...Media Center installed. Your system came with XP Home installed...or did you later purchase/install MS XP Home?

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dime...7-30529709.html This system utilizes recovery CDs, per this quote: "Dell also throws in three recovery CDs (OS, applications, and drivers/utilities)."

Louis

#8 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

i bought my computer few years ago its been 3-4 years and yes it came with xp home edition and all the other application CD's.

could you please tell me how to copy folders from the C:\ drive to a different drive using CMD. e.g. i want to copy C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS how would i actually copy all the subfolder within MY DOCUMETS using the coammnd promt to a different drive. if i can save all my work then i can just format the whole pc.

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

i would find more easier to actualy format the whole pc but the problem i have is that i can not copy and paste using the mouse. the only way i can copy and paste folders is by using command promt.

i juts need an example of the promt i should write in CMD in order to copy a folder with its subfolders. e.g. i want to copy the C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\OWNER how would i actually copy all the subfolders in the folder to a different drive.

if i can back-up all my user documents then i can just format the whole pc again.

You should be able to copy the files by clicking on them and then pressing the ctrl and c keys at the same time, and then paste them where u want them by pressing the ctrl and v keys at the same time

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

could you please tell me how to copy folders from the C:\ drive to a different drive using CMD. e.g. i want to copy C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS how would i actually copy all the subfolder within MY DOCUMETS using the coammnd promt to a different drive. if i can save all my work then i can just format the whole pc.

I am not sure what drive you are trying to copy to, but if you want to copy that folder from your C drive to your D drive, I THINK the line you want to type is,

copy C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS D:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\MY DOCUMENTS

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

AFAIK, copy the entire Docs & Settings folder...is no different than copying any other.

I've done this before and I never used the command line to do such.

There are certain files that XP won't allow a copy of (because they are currently in use and XP won't allow copy of them while they are in use)...I just omitted those files from my copy efforts, since I did not need those system files for my purposes (I just wanted a backup of email, cookies, and favorites). It takes a little longer than just copying the entire folder, but it works.

Something you may be interested in: http://www.argentuma.com/backup/system-backup.html

I don't bother with the All Users folders, since I'm the only user of my systems. If I copy the key files from the Owner profile, I have everything I need.

Of course...if you slaved the boot drive temporarily to another system where the files are not open (because they are not on that boot partition), then you ought to be able to just copy the entire folder without fretting about system denials. That's theory, I have not tried that :thumbsup:.

You will find a number of links telling how to move the Docs & Settings...but most, if not all, of the links you can find relative to copying same will regurgitate (better) what I have outlined above.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users