Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IRQL not less or equal BSOD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 the_white_knight3

the_white_knight3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:53 AM

I have a windows xp sp3 box that is running fine booting windows normally.

But it can't boot into safe mode without getting this BSOD.

I have added a system variable to allow me to see unused drivers, and uninstalled most of those.

I have flashed the bios to the newest version

I have disabled shadowing and a bunch of cacheing in the browser.

The BSOD does not list any filename.

At this point I am looking to identify which driver is causing the failure. I can see the last driver that successfully loaded, is there a way to look at the startup list for safemode to identify which driver was next in the list?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:17 AM

Even though the bsod does not list a file name, can you please list the stop error codes you get on the bsod?

#3 the_white_knight3

the_white_knight3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

0x0000000A - (0xF8003354,0x000000FF,0x00000001,0x804E2E41)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:27 PM

Microsoft says: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q314063

Louis

#5 the_white_knight3

the_white_knight3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:01 AM

I've already gone through that page, but I'm not willing to do a re-install for an issue that only shows up when trying to boot into safe mode.

Hardware hasn't been changed in this box since 2006, and almost everything is onboard. There are no PCI cards installed. Only one harddrive, one dvd-rom, and one floppy drive.

#6 horned0wl

horned0wl

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:24 AM

I've already gone through that page, but I'm not willing to do a re-install for an issue that only shows up when trying to boot into safe mode.

Hardware hasn't been changed in this box since 2006, and almost everything is onboard. There are no PCI cards installed. Only one harddrive, one dvd-rom, and one floppy drive.

If that's the case, then its likely a RAM issue. Get a copy of Memtest86 (can be found on most Linux Live disks, and runs in memory, if your memory isn't fouled), and run it. You could have a RAM stick gone bad, or a RAM bay shorted out. Otherwise, have you recently updated either your BIOS or your video drivers? Those are the three areas that most often cause an IRQL blue screen.

Cheers;
the 0wl (A+ Certified)

#7 the_white_knight3

the_white_knight3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:31 AM

Memtest passed, the BIOS is up to date, but hasn't been updated in several years. But the video drivers were recently corrupted, and new ones needed to be installed. I first noticed the error in safe mode while trying to fix this problem, and it has persisted after the new drivers have been installed. But it could be. I can see the video driver being loaded several files before the bluescreen.

One thing I have noticed, is that I lose USB power right before the bluescreen occurs. So I am going to go through and uninstall all the usb controller drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users