Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phony hotmail page?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Travis_C

Travis_C

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:55 PM

Today I signed into MSN messenger and noticed that I had a few unread mail messages but when I clicked on the link it redirected me to what I'm sure is a false hotmail page. The name of it is "Cb1.msn.com". Once it redirected it me to that page a box popped up saying "Mozilla Firefox does not recognize the certificate on this page, This could possibly be a fake site that is trying to steal your information." It then gave me 3 options, 1) to accept the new certificate the site had made 2) to not accept it but to proceed accessing the site and 3) to not accept the certificate and to not connect to the site; I chose #3 and closed the browser. I have since tried to access the hotmail page but I'm not sure if the link is valid and wanted to make sure the site is legit before entering my password.

When I type in " www.Hotmail.com " it brings me to this page: http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?lc=1033&id=2

When I type in " www.login.passport.net " it brings me to this page: http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?lc=1033

Also, When I usually try to sign into Hotmail the address bar will turn yellow to show me that it is an encrypted page but it didn't do that this time.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this.

~ Travis

Edited by Travis_C, 27 May 2005 - 02:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 st0nedsk8er

st0nedsk8er

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:51 PM

to hell with hotmail!! use gmail, if you are interested, i will give you an invite, just PM me with your email address or even post it here..

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:05 PM

If you want a G-mail invite, PM st0nedsk8er with your E-mail address.
Do not post it in the forum.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:03 PM

Travis_C seems to some sort of security problem going on with his computer. So for now aquiring an GMail account is the least of his worries.

If someone can help him, please do so.

I will be moving this to the AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum.

Edited by scarlett, 28 May 2005 - 10:06 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:49 AM

Both those sites are legitimate Hotmail Logins. Ignore the warning you are getting and accept the certificate or login without accepting it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Travis_C

Travis_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:50 PM

Okay, Thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users