Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot into XP

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 J-ROCK

J-ROCK

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

Hi,

On January 4th, I had a few viruses I think I had "Trojan DNSChanger" and "Rogue.Component/Trace". I cleaned it and deleted the quarantined and rebooted as I was prompted using MBAM and Super anti-spyware. I used my machine for a few hours and all was fine. I deleted all restored points and created a new one. Then I got this Bluescreen

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xB14C7B3A, 0xAE51E788, 0x00000000)

I ran “clean disk” then defragmented my C drive (I think this caused the problem). I think I continued to use my machine for a bit. Then I shut it down for the night. The next day I booted it up and it continues to crash upon boot up.
It will reboot anywhere from 1 second into booting up, all the way up to actually booting into windows fine and then rebooting.

I posted my issues in these posts and was sent to the AII forum and HJT. I managed to get it booted into windows normal mode and worked with the HJT team and I have been declared clean in the HiJack This forum. So I don’t think this is virus related, I think it’s more to do with the defrag.

I have been working with the HJT team for several days and have rebooted a few times and it comes up fine. I shut down last night and the today I turned my machine on and I can’t get booted up. Same thing, It will reboot anywhere from 1 second into booting up, sometimes I get to the black screen with the Windows logo then it reboots.

Seams once I get booted up into windows everything works fine. I have only seen the blue screen once.

Here is a history of everything that has been done since Jan 5th.

I had started a post here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/192515/stop-0x0000008e-blue-screen/

The thread was moved to the AII then the HJT thread where I was helpped by Billy 3. He managed to clean up all viruses and he was very helpful, but I am still having the intermittent and continual re-boot issue.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/195096/roguecomponenttrace-trojan-dnschanger/

Looking for advise on how to proceed.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.2047.1733
MSI Motherboard K7T266, 1.8 Ghz Athlon CPU
Drive C: | 97.66 Gb Total | 41.23 Gb Free Space | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive D: | 135.22 Gb Total | 125.24 Gb Free Space | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive G: | 31.49 Gb Total | 31.43 Gb Free Space | Partition Type: NTFS
2G Ram

Thanks,
J-Rock

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:23 AM

If you have the installation CD try using the Recovery Console.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:54 AM

O.K. Some how, my computer loaded into windows normal mode? Weird but it's there.....

Do I run C:\chkdsk /r

or put my windows CD in?

J-Rock

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:57 AM

I would run both chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f, follow the instructions below and check both boxes.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:12 AM

Thanks,
I'll try that tonight when I get home from work.

Just in case my system reboots again by the time I get home, can I do the same thing in safe mode or does it make a difference?

Thanks,
J-Rock

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:21 AM

Yes you can.

#7 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

Thanks,
I'll try it.

J-ROCK

#8 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

I followed the steps as you mentioned.

I checked the box that reads:
Automatically fix file system errors
but when I tries to run it, I got this message (Below) so I un-checked the box.

The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusiveaccess to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedules this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

I checked the box that reads:
Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

It ran fine on all drives and it didn't say if there were issues or not it just said complete.

I hate to reboot again.....

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:29 AM

Give it a shot.

#10 horned0wl

horned0wl

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:11 AM

I would run both chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f, follow the instructions below and check both boxes.

Why would you need to run both? CHKDSK /R implies /F in its run (see Safe Mode with Command Prompt - "Help CHKDSK" or "CHKDSK/?").

Cheers;
the0wl

#11 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

O.K. I re booted and it automatically ran check disk or something like it mentioned before
Automatically fix file system errors
But when I tries to run it, I got this message (Below) so I un-checked the box.
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusiveaccess to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedules this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

It found one file that it fixed and again once it was in Windows, everything seamed to run fine.

I shut down last night.....and can't boot.

Again it is continually rebooting sometime it get a few seconds in sometimes only a flicker then it reboots.

....currently, I can't get into safe mode or last known good configuration or anything.

......a weird side note, while I was trying to boot it up. I would try for 5 min or so, then shut my machine off and go in the other room.....a few minutes later, it has turned it's self on and it is in the trying to boot cycle........weird, no one was in the room.....*/play ghost music */....

Thanks,
J-Rock

#12 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:36 AM

I also tried booting from my windows CD and my system rebooted halfway into it too....

Also, a side note, my hardrive is really noisy and has been for a while.....I assume it's on it's way out and that probably the source of my issues but I know nothing, that's why I'm here.... :thumbsup:

J-rock

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

Is it making a clicking noise?

#14 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

No, it's kinda a hi pitched whinning.

#15 J-ROCK

J-ROCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

Actually The sound seams to be coming from the CPU Fan. Could a fan problem be causing the rebooting? Maybe the CPU is over heating?

I actually rebooted about 40 times since yesterday. I actually got back into windows many times but it still kept shutting down on me. I though there might be a fan problem so I oiled it (3 in 1 oil, only a bit) and I also put a Huge Fan (one I use at work for a lab bench) on the CPU/Motherboard and things are up and running.... I am transfering files to a USB drive right now.....

Could be a fluke, but could the fan be too slow and not be providing enough airflow and causing the CPU to over heat creating a reboot?

J-ROCK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users