Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows silverlight wont install 0x4B3 error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

please help!! I cant install windows silverlight on my xp home edition.
a message pops up stating there was an "error reading initialization file"
(0x4B3 error in windows update).
I have tried downloading the setup file more than once.(in case it was corrupt) to no avail!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
Freedom Is Not Free !! Pray For our Troops

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

I found this on Microsoft Silverlight:
Silverlight getting "Error reading setup initialization file" on install
http://silverlight.net/forums/p/49801/165321.aspx#165321

#3 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:05 PM

triggerhappypappy - didn't realize you had another thread going on this topic here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/190750/silverlight-wont-install/ and here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/195859/windows-silverlight-wont-install-0x4b3-error/

Edited by tork, 02 February 2009 - 12:06 PM.

#4 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:33 PM

Finally I found a solution!!! In case you are still looking! This worked for me. I hope it helps!! thumbup.gif

From your description, I understand we are failed to find the related registry key about silverlight. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

After my research, I find that our issue may occur by the cause that the installation files was unable to be extracted properly or there is some service conflicting with Silverlight Installation process.

Based on the current situation, I suggest we perform my suggestion to narrow down the cause of the issue and fix it.

Step 1: Clean Boot

=============

Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.

5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

6. Check whether or not the issue still appears in this environment.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Then please refer the following steps to install it again.

Step 2: Use the Winrar to extract the program

===================

Before doing the installation, Please access http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/resources/install.aspx
Note: I assume that you have saved the Silverlight.2.0.exe file to C:\.

1. Download Winrar tool from the link below.

http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar371.exe

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Follow the instructions to install Winrar.

3. Right click Silverlight 2.0.exe, click Extract to Silverlight.2.0\ option. A folder Silverlight.2.0 will be created after completing above steps.

4. Enter this folder, double click silverlight.msi to install.( I had to do a search to find this file)

5. Double click silverlight.msp to install.

After completing above steps, let's check if silverlight can be installed.

I am sorry for any inconvenience you have encountered and please be assured that I will do my best to help us to fix the issue.

Your time and efforts are highly appreciated on this issue.
Freedom Is Not Free !! Pray For our Troops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users