Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Internet Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

I was working on a computer today from a guy I overheard at circuit city. The problem he has was he thought he had a virus, and was not getting internet. So I went over and went into safemode with networking to get superantispyware and everything seemed fine. I ran a full scan, no viruses, no spyware, no malware, no worms, nothing. Just 2 tracking cookies. So I turned off all startup items to see if internet worked in normal operating mode. Strange enough, the network says its fully connected, running an IPconfig shows that he is recieving all the DHCP, can ping to websites, DNS, Gateway and everything else. Problem is, when opening the IE browser (or firefox) webpage cant be displayed. Yet everything works fine in safe mode. I am going to be running more tests on it tonight to see if I can figure it out. But I thought I would post this to see if anyone else has any ideas for by the time i get home. Let me know people.

BTW, I already tried to flush the dns and reset the winsock.

Gavin Seabrook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brentmd

brentmd

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:20 AM

gavinseabrook,

I would suggest doing a TCP/IP reset since it doesn't look like you tried that yet. Open the command prompt in administrator mode and type "netsh int ip reset". Once that is complete, restart the computer. It might be a rare user profile error that is causing the internet problem. In that case, I would suggest logging in as the Guest account and see if the problem persists. Although, it could be some strange virus that is causing the problem.

Good luck!

#3 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:00 AM

I so far have run scans with Adaware, CA Antivirus and Antispyware, and the Superantispyware. So far nothing. I did notice they used to have mcafee installed and a copy of AOL is still in there. Im going to try to remove those, but I will also try your advice. I have created a different "Test" user account to see if the problem persists there in normal mode. Then I will try the command you listed. I will let you know how it goes.

Gavin Seabrook

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:21 AM

Well, just got done running that command and it seems.....DAMN! No go...I am going to uninstall all the crap I put on there. Turn on all the startup items, uninstall AOL fully, and see what that helps. Any other helpful tips?

Gavin Seabrook

#5 brentmd

brentmd

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

gavinseabrook,

Did you check any proxy settings that might be enabled? Tools: Internet Options: Connections: Advanced for Dial-Up and LAN settings. Also, make sure that it's set to "Never Dial a Connection" just in case if it is trying to go through AOL. Last resort if the customer allows it is to try a System Restore to a date when the problem wasn't present.

#6 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

no proxy settings. they did have netzero installed when they attempted dial up connection but I removed that from the internet explorer list, connections, and the physical software. I tried creating a new user, cleaning the registry, installed software to make sure nothing is starting with windows. it is very puzzling that in safe mode everything runs as it should but not in normal operating mode. and I don't really want to reformat because I want to keep that as last resort. but if I can't repair it by 2pm here imma give up and just wipe it. I hate vista...

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users