Let's put that one on the backburner....
The Windows Update problem does appear to be fixed, but sometimes it takes a few minutes to recognize any USB devices being plugged in.
A little more detail on this issue:
- I have Autoplay turned ON for all drives including USB
- when I plug in a USB device, I get the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the System tray but the device does not show up in "My Computer" and I cannot access the device.
- after about a minute or two, it finally shows up, silently.
- I have no problem accessing the files or using the device and the computer appears to operate normally.
- it doesn't matter which USB ports I plug into, the issue can occur on any port
- when I try to remove the device, it removes immediately after I select it in Safely Remove Hardware, but there is no sound when the dialog box pops up
saying it is safe to remove. When I didn't have problems, there was always
a ding sound.
- when I have the problem, the "two-chord" sound doesn't happen until about a minute after I eject the device.
And here's another connection to the problem:
- when this problem occurs and I reboot or shutdown the system, it appears to hang at the "Shutting Down" screen (for up to 4 minutes) before finally shutting down.This problem is intermittent and doesn't always occur
. Rebooting seems to solve the problem.
I've noticed another pattern. When my wife is logged on and then she Logs off of her account and I logon to mine is when I usually get the problem.
This started to occur about 2 weeks ago. Things that I have done:
1) Installed MS SQL Express Server 2005 SP3 from Windows Update.
2) Installed GPS Software TomTom.
3) Installed Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 from Windows Update.
4) Installed Office Live Add-in.
5) Did a patch update on Spy Sweeper 6 to the next build.
After doing 1) I did a system restore as described in previous post to fix the Windows Update issue. I then re-did each step 1) through 5) but didn't notice the problem re-curring. As I said, it only happens occasionally, but almost always after logging off from one account and then logging on to another.
The event viewer doesn't show anything unusual.
Finally, here are my specs:
Motherboard - Dell DM051
BIOS Version - A07
Chipset - Intel Express 945G (Northbridge - Lakeport-G i945G) (SouthBridge: Intel 82801GB ICH7)
RAM - DDR2 2.0 GB