Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NFS Most Wanted CRASH

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KiingDavid

KiingDavid

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

Hey guys.
I'm having trouble playing this game for over 30mins. Especially during long police chases my laptop would freeze and crash. On rare occasions it would unfreeze and lets me play for about another half an hr or so. It says my video card has stopped responding and has recovered. Could it be an over heating problem? If n e of you have an idea or a solution to this problem it would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

Laptop? Yeah, it's a good bet that it's heating up a bit, especially with games that places more demand on a computer's resources. I'm not a laptop guy, but some good general rules of thumb is to update all your drivers, especially the video card's, and run maintenance programs on your laptop, such as defragging and cleaning out junk and your registry (CCleaner is a good and free tool). If the game continues to freeze, you may even need to crack open your laptop and blow away the accumulated dust that's built up in there. Buy a can of compressed air for that task. There's plenty of guidelines on here as well as all over the Internet for laptop maintenance.

If you're still running into problems, a new fan may be in order or, at worst, a new video card. Like I said earlier, though, I'm not a laptop guy, so you're better off getting advice from someone on here who knows a thing or two about laptops.

If nothing else, if it IS a heat-related issue, buy a block of ice and play the game with the laptop sitting on it! LOL!
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#3 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

I'm not a laptop guy, but some good general rules of thumb is to update all your drivers, especially the video card's, and run maintenance programs on your laptop, such as defragging and cleaning out junk and your registry (CCleaner is a good and free tool).

Actually, just to note on something, cleaning the registry is definitely not a good idea. Registry Cleaners are considered a bad thing to use on a computer as there's a chance you can severely screw up a computer.

Here's a topic that gives more details behind the dangers of using a registry cleaner: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/179604/registry-cleaning/

Edited by scff249, 29 January 2009 - 04:59 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#4 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

I'm not a laptop guy, but some good general rules of thumb is to update all your drivers, especially the video card's, and run maintenance programs on your laptop, such as defragging and cleaning out junk and your registry (CCleaner is a good and free tool).

Actually, just to note on something, cleaning the registry is definitely not a good idea. Registry Cleaners are considered a bad thing to use on a computer as there's a chance you can severely screw up a computer.

Here's a topic that gives more details behind the dangers of using a registry cleaner: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/179604/registry-cleaning/

I didn't know registry cleaning was a touchy subject. In that case, let me remove the suggestion of cleaning the registry and just stick to the basics of emptying the cache (but maybe not the cookies if you don't want to have to log in to every site again, especially if you can't remember the passwords). Definitely defrag, though, and you can find that through Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter. You can find the cleanup in the same folder, titled "Disk Cleanup." Run the cleanup program first, then defrag. A word of warning, defragging takes a good long while, especially if you haven't done it in a long time (forever if you've never done it). I recommend running it just before heading out the door to do some errands or watch a movie!

Oh, I forgot to add one more suggestion. Have you updated the game with the latest patches? If not, do that first and then see how well it works. I have the game as well and I know for a fact there's a patch, which is here: ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/nfsmwpatch1.3.exe
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#5 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

@KiingDavid: What's the specs of your computer? How much RAM do you have installed? What OS are you using? Do you know your video card?

I'm not really a PC gamer myself, but others may be able to give better advice.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#6 KiingDavid

KiingDavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:59 AM

hey guys thx for the advice =)
as for the specs to my computer...
Dell Inspiron 1520
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
CPU: 1.8ghz
RAM: 2gb
HD: 100gb (7200rpm)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT (256mb)

i think it is a heating problem. the surface my laptop sits on turns really hot and some vents on the laptop i cant touch for more than a second (at its hottest). Also i leave it plugged in 24/7 maybe this causes even more heat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users