Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyware?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Nia(:

Nia(:

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

Which one do you like better?
Which one works better for you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

MalwareBytes works best for me.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

I run both to get a great level of detection. Mbam is definately faster. But if you run them weekly they both are less than a half hour.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:01 AM

Hi Nia,

After reading some of your posts, I'm a little worried that you may not have sufficient or up to date real-time protection on your computer, or quite possibly too much.

You've previously mentioned expired Norton software and AVG Antivirus etc.

What security software do you currently have on your computer and which of it is actively running?

:thumbsup:

#5 Nia(:

Nia(:
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

Hi Nia,

After reading some of your posts, I'm a little worried that you may not have sufficient or up to date real-time protection on your computer, or quite possibly too much.

You've previously mentioned expired Norton software and AVG Antivirus etc.

What security software do you currently have on your computer and which of it is actively running?

:thumbsup:

Yes, I have expired Norton software, but NO AVG. I was just thinking about removing Norton, and downloading AVG.
The only security I have running on my computer CURRENTLY is . . . MalwareBytes and Windows Defender.

#6 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:13 AM

Nia(:

Get rid of Norton and run either Avast or AVG. I have been using Avast for a very long time , it auto updates sometimes three times a day. When I used AVG , I had problems with it updating. I also run SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D.

#7 Nia(:

Nia(:
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

Nia(:

Get rid of Norton and run either Avast or AVG. I have been using Avast for a very long time , it auto updates sometimes three times a day. When I used AVG , I had problems with it updating. I also run SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D.

Can you give me a good link to downloading Avast?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:07 AM

The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Protection Module uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they can infect your computer. The database that defines those heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires reqistration and purchase of a license key. When a license is purchased, Malwarebytes can also be set to update itself automatically and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis.

Note: MBAM does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

Avast
How to Install, Configure, and Use
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Nia(:

Nia(:
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:24 AM

The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Protection Module uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they can infect your computer. The database that defines those heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires reqistration and purchase of a license key. When a license is purchased, Malwarebytes can also be set to update itself automatically and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis.

Note: MBAM does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

Avast

Will Avast and MalwareBytes go nicely together?

#10 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

Avast

Yes they work and play well together. I see you already got the link. :thumbsup: OH and MalwareBytes only gives you real time protection with the paid version.

Edited by GTK48, 29 January 2009 - 10:34 AM.

#11 Nia(:

Nia(:
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:38 AM

Avast

Yes they work and play well together. I see you already got the link. :thumbsup: OH and MalwareBytes only gives you real time protection with the paid version.

Could you possibly give me a good link to download MalwareBytes?
I downloaded it from "Download.com" the first time but they have bad software on there.
(:

#12 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

@Nia Here you go.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

#13 Nia(:

Nia(:
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

@Nia Here you go.

Could you possibly check out "www.securitywonks.net" and tell me if you would download anything from there?

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

MBAM alternate download sites:
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/mbam-setup.exe
http://www.malwaresupport.com/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-...4-10804572.html
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwa.../mbam-setup.exe
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Ant...ware_d5756.html
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Mal...i-Malware.shtml
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

@Nia Here you go.

Could you possibly check out "www.securitywonks.net" and tell me if you would download anything from there?

What is wrong with downloading it from the source. The company that makes the product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users