Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop plugged in 24/7, problem?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KiingDavid

KiingDavid

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

Hi,
Im running a Dell Inspiron 1520 with a 6cell battery. I have no use to carry it around anymore, so i use it like a desk top at home. Thus, it stays plugged in and charging 24/7, not put to sleep nor turned off. Well occasionally I'd turn it off when It's running really hot. And now my battery won't last 20mins. Well i deserved that but i want to know if it is okay to continue this habit with a dead battery, will any damage be inflicted to my pc due to this action?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

If your not going to use the battery I would remove it and recycle it. The battery could severely damaged overtime and may cause damage to the laptop. Leaving your Laptop plugged in all the time is not wrong but you should cycle the battery (drain it then recharge it) a few times a month to prevent the problem you are facing now. The laptop will work fine without a battery, although if the power goes out you wont have the few extra seconds to save anything unless you purchase a UPS (Un-interuptable Power Supply)

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 KiingDavid

KiingDavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

Thanks a lot. Are there any heat related issues with leaving the power plugged in all the time?
my computer seems to run hotter with the plug in, will this change if i run the computer with the plug without the battery?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:16 AM

The older laptops used NiCd (nickel cadmium) batteries, currently they are using Li-ion (Lithium-ion) batteries.

There is a urban myth associated with NiCd batteries that they need to be completely discharged or the will develop "memory effect" and will not fully recharge there after. Like most myths there is a kernel of truth, the effect is known as Voltage Depression, but this has no relation to completely discharging the battery, this effect is related to very slow charging techniques. The point is that the batteries do not need to be completely discharged before recharging, in fact it is detrimental to the battery.

The following is an excerpt from this article.

A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:52 AM

:flowers: I am a victim of the Urban legend. Thanks for the correction DC :thumbsup: . As for the heat issues it should not be a problem however if your laptop is getting REALLY hot you may want to invest in a cooling pad such as these.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 KiingDavid

KiingDavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:03 AM

The older laptops used NiCd (nickel cadmium) batteries, currently they are using Li-ion (Lithium-ion) batteries.

There is a urban myth associated with NiCd batteries that they need to be completely discharged or the will develop "memory effect" and will not fully recharge there after. Like most myths there is a kernel of truth, the effect is known as Voltage Depression, but this has no relation to completely discharging the battery, this effect is related to very slow charging techniques. The point is that the batteries do not need to be completely discharged before recharging, in fact it is detrimental to the battery.

The following is an excerpt from this article.

A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

that clears up a lot of things, i always wondered about this thx=). As for the cooling fan im in the process of making one myself but my laptop is dead right now (virussed) so that project is on hold. the Zalman cooler is nice =)

#7 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

I did not know that myself. Thank you DC3. I've always thought after about 6 months to deep cycle the battery at least 3 times. Fully drain and charge. That's what one battery manufacture told me on a notice sent with a few replacement batteries. Note I'm talking NiMH. Li-ion shouldn't have any memory effects that I know of. Other then It hates extreme temperature changes.
Posted Image

#8 KiingDavid

KiingDavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:50 PM

Li-ion shouldn't have any memory effects that I know of. Other then It hates extreme temperature changes.

I always left my pc plugged in and the battery would get really hot. But in terms of temp changes i'd rarely turn it off or unplug it so it would stay constantly hot...i guess thats ok?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:23 AM

In the article that I provided the link for previously it covers the problems of high temperatures and the effects on the longevity of the battery.

High charge levels and elevated temperatures hasten permanent capacity loss.

Edited by dc3, 31 January 2009 - 01:24 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 KiingDavid

KiingDavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:44 AM

I see ur quote explains a lot of things. funny story; the a/c chord popped out and fell behind the desk, i reached to get it, i plugged it back in, checked my battery life and it was 64%. 36% loss in a matter of 30sec lol =D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users