Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how do you reinstall windows without losing a few selected programs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 boobaloo

boobaloo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

ok. my dads computer is in need of a reinstall. he asked me to do it for him. but he has a few very expensive, important programs on the hard drive such as autoCAD and VIZ render. so i need to wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows without losing those. i am aware that you can reinstall with out losing anything, but that woul keep the millions of viruses on his computer on his computer. i am also aware that if i just saved the programs "exe" then it couldnt run w/o its program files. i guess what im asking is if there is a setup file contained in the program files or if i just copied the programs program files and pasted them into C: after the reinstall it would work. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

Short reply...no.

You want two contradictory things...a clean install and programs which are already installed.

It's an either/or situation as you define it...maybe you want to redefine it in some manner where it's not contradictory.

I suppose that there is someone you could pay an ungodly sum to...and they would try to accommodate your wishes as they bill you by the hours worked.

You could always try the good folks at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ or the HJT forum, Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

They do their best to help persons with desires as you have expressed, but they are not miracle-workers. You seem to have nothing to lose but a little time.

Louis

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:25 AM

i guess what im asking is if there is a setup file contained in the program files or if i just copied the programs program files and pasted them into C: after the reinstall it would work.

Probably not. The programs you listed are most likely not portable.

They will need to be re-installed.

If he is using those commercial level applications I would think he has either a retail or volume license which would authorize a re-installation after a reformat on the same machine, assuming the software is legally licensed and not pirated. How did those tools get installed on the computer in the first place?

All of the data and saved files from the applications can be safely backed up and restored after a re-install of the parent applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users