Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Port forwarding ANXIETY!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

Hello BC!
My friend is trying to get his computer so that he can create a server for a game called The Ship. Whenever he attempts to create it, it says "The server is not responding" to those trying to connect, and it says the server IP is 192.168.0.201, which is his local (static) IP.
He has a Dlink DIR-628 router that he is using to forward the ports. He thinks he has forwarded them correctly, but ShieldsUP! claims that the ports are closed.
He is also running ZoneAlarm free, but the program is given full access.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
He has an account on here as Normalnorbert212 and may reply from time to time with more information.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

What type of modem/gateway does he have? Some ISPs actually include a router in their modems, this is especially the case with ISPs that offer VOIP and other services. In some cases, the ISP may not disclose that the modem has routing capabilities and needs its own ports forwarded. You can confirm this by logging in to the router, and looking at the WAN IP address, which should be on the status or overview page. If that IP address starts with 192.168, the modem contains its own router.

If you can confirm that the modem is not acting as a router, the next step is to remove the Internet from the equation. Download SuperScan3, a simple port scanner, from http://www.foundstone.com/us/resources/pro.../superscan3.htm (much easier than version 4 for this) onto a computer on the same network as the computer with the issue. Using SS3, scan the computer for the ports in question and see if it gets a response. If not, there is some additional security software preventing connections. If it does work, have the remote clients try connecting again. If they can't, most likely the ISP is blocking the traffic, or there is a configuration issue in the router.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#3 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

Thank you for your reply!
We determined that his modem is NOT a router, and went through the Superscan method. After not seeing any results, we found out that we need to give SuperScan3 permissions in ZoneAlarm. He has done this, but we have not gone any further and will not be able to until tomorrow. However, I did connect to his LAN really fast from my own home network (as he had uTorrent open, which is currently not connecting to any peers), and, as expected, the uTorrent port was not open to me.

Although the problem was based on the fact that Steam was not open to clients, we have found it easier to test using the uTorrent port for convenience, since all ports he has forwarded are not open.

Edited by Glunn11, 29 January 2009 - 11:06 PM.

#4 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:00 PM

All right - we have determined that his own PC can detect an open port, but a remote client cannot. SO, we're looking at a router or ISP issue.

#5 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

Ok. If the superscan run from another computer behind the firewall did successfully connect, I agree the problem is going to be with the router or the ISP. In my experience most ISPs don't block many ports - usually only the common ones such as 80 so people can't run web servers.

There are a few ways we can go from here. I think since you have a firewall installed on the computer, the best option would be to start by ruling out a problem with your ISP. This test will effectively take your router out of the equation. Make sure your software firewall is blocking everything but the ports you want open before starting this test.

The first step is to give the server a static IP address in Network Connections. Next, log in to the router, and open a DMZ pointing to that IP address. This will redirect ALL incoming traffic that would normally be blocked by the router to the server. That is why it is essential you have your software firewall running. See if external clients are able to connect, then turn off the DMZ.

Also, can external clients ping the router?

Edited by InterestinglyAverage, 02 February 2009 - 07:58 PM.

#6 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

When he first confronted me about the problem, I made him make a static IP, so that part's taken care of.
Well, we put him on DMZ and I, an external client, could NOT see his open port. (He still could from the laptop.)

I was, however, able to ping him.
Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

Edited by Glunn11, 02 February 2009 - 09:48 PM.

#7 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

No problem. Unfortunately it sounds like the problem is out of your hands and will need to be addressed by the ISP. There would just be one very final thing to check. On the router, what are the first two octets of the WAN IP address? (the x's in x.x.y.y)

#8 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

Well, interesting thing going on. The IP given to him at http://www.whatismyip.com is DIFFERENT than the WAN IP of the router. To make sure the page was not cached, he did do a hard refresh (CTRL + F5), and it stayed the same. The IP on the router's page is different than the router on the website, and yes, we are looking under WAN (he sent me a picture). The router IP is 10.83.xx.xx, and the IP shown by whatismyip is 208.98.xx.xx.

The router, under WAN Connection Type, is also listed as a DHCP Client.

He does have a modem to which the router connects, and I'm starting to get the feeling that the modem may be a router, although he thought he determined earlier it was not. However, when we tried to log in to the modem on various IPs found on the router's page, as well as connecting via the 208.98.xx.xx IP, the connection failed.

I just did some research and found that 10.xx.xx.xx is an internal IP like 192.168.xx.xx. So, this pretty much confirms the fact that the modem is acting as the DHCP device that assigns the router its IP, no?

We attempted to make the second router a switch , as seen here, but he doesn't have a free LAN port to make this work. So, we're trying to forward the ports through two routers, which is a task that I understand how to do, as I have done it for my own network. However, he cannot log into the modem using either the external or internal IP; the browser simply times out. No username/password window even pops up.

I had him check ipconfig, and lo and behold the default gateway is indeed 10.83.40.1, the internal IP of the modem. His firewall is allowing connections to that IP. For what it's worth, the modem is an Alvarion ACPS-101G revision B, and I can find very little information about it online.

Edited by Glunn11, 03 February 2009 - 10:35 PM.

#9 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

Definitely sounds like your modem is a router, but you do get stuck in this case because most likely the ISP has set the modem up so that only they can access the router configuration. You can ask them to set up a DMZ that points to the WAN IP address of your router, which will allow your port forwarding to work. In this case, you won't want to make your own router a switch, because you don't want to have to call the ISP every time you want to change a port forward. I would suggest doing what you can to get the ISP to either switch the modem to bridge mode (where it will just act like a traditional modem) or set the DMZ up as I mentioned.

#10 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

Well, he contacted the ISP a few days ago and still no reply.
I'll let you know if anything changes.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users