Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't remove old xp partition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 glensumner

glensumner

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Vista won't let me remove an old xp partition any ideas folks it's eating up :huh: 130 gigs of harddrive space!

Edited by glensumner, 28 January 2009 - 06:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

The most likely reason for this is that Vista is using that partition (for example, it boots from it before transferring control to the OS partition).
If you remove it, be prepared to fix the Vista boot loader with your bootable Vista DVD.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 glensumner

glensumner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

no bother! but vista won't let me! let me be clearer i am the administrator and i have uac disabled but however i try disc manager etc. vista blocks me. I have tried using gparted even (not sure if i was usingit correctly tho!) had to use the vista disc after that to fix bootup butthe partition is still there unmovable it seams! Any Help please

Edited by glensumner, 28 January 2009 - 07:28 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:57 AM

All I can suggest is:
- disconnect the XP drive from the system
- do a format and reinstall of Vista on the remaining drive
- tell your system to boot from the Vista drive
- then I'd completely wipe the XP drive clean, reinitialize it and then format it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 glensumner

glensumner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:47 AM

Ok it's fixed! (I couldn't do exactly as sugested as I only had one disc in, just different partitions but kind of did your sugestion in a more round about way.) I got hold of the newest version of gparted then deleted the xp partition, put a new partition there and formated it flagged the vista partition for boot. Restarted needed the vista disc to fix startup again it took more than an hour! restarting several times, I thought it wasn't going to work but fortunatly it did eventually.
Thanks for your reply's any how! :huh:

#6 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

Ok it's fixed! (I couldn't do exactly as sugested as I only had one disc in, just different partitions but kind of did your sugestion in a more round about way.) I got hold of the newest version of gparted then deleted the xp partition, put a new partition there and formated it flagged the vista partition for boot. Restarted needed the vista disc to fix startup again it took more than an hour! restarting several times, I thought it wasn't going to work but fortunatly it did eventually.
Thanks for your reply's any how! :huh:

That's a Great report, thanks for the additional reply,Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users