Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Drive D:\ Defragmenting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aldeberry

Aldeberry

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

Greetings experts! I hope you can help. Having resolved a sequence of problems successfully I went into Defrag C:\ Drive OK, and then to the D:| Drive. The Analysis showed that I have only 9% Free space and message stated that 15% was necessary to allow a Defrag. The graphic showed large areas of undesirable Red, so it seems to need a gentle touch. Volume size is 6.01 Gb with 5.47 Used space and only 556 Mb Free = 9%. A Microsoft message suggests firstly that some files should be removed, but then advises extreme caution - understandably! Can anyone tell me if a Defrag will work with the drive in this state, probably running very slowly through, or will it cause harm to commence a Defrag? Would it be best to leave alone? Can I, without being an expert, remove files and, if so, which ones? Any advice will be most welcome. My PC is a Compaq Desktop on WinXP, relatively lightly used here at home in UK, and always kept as clean as I can regularly. How the D:\ drive got like this, goodness knows. Time for bed now, 23.25 hrs. Looking foward to hearing from some helpful soul. Best wishes to all, Aldeberry.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

Download ATF cleaner and run the program Select all boxes and then empty selected. This should free up some more space. Disk Defrag wont run with out 15%free.

Edit: Please refrain from posting Multiple threads of the same topic. Its considered spamming and its frowned uppon

:thumbsup: To Bleeping Computer

Edit: 2 Typo

Edited by Sneakycyber, 28 January 2009 - 08:03 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

You could also temporarily turn off System Restore (you would lose your current restore points, I believe), temporarily reduce the size of your pagefile, and eliminate the hiberfil.sys file for additional room...in some cases.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-...11-5630184.html

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:23 AM

What hamluis has suggested is a temporary solution, but the bottom line is you are going to need to create more space on the hdd. Transferring files to either a removable media like CDs or DVDs or to another hdd is the best solution to this problem.

Edited by dc3, 29 January 2009 - 02:24 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,776 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:31 AM

Would it be best to leave alone?

Yes. There's no point defragmenting a Recovery Partition. It's only ever used if you need to recover your OS, and it doesn't matter at all if the files are fragmented.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users