Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Method for Moving Storage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 playboidee

playboidee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

I have 2 Seagate HDs. A 400GB and a 500GB. On both I have about 300GB worth of data that I would like to copy to a single 1 TB drive. But I got a few questions:

1. I was planning on just moving everything by drag'n'drop'ing to the new 1 TB HD. Is "copying" or "moving" any different? Is one better than the other?

2. What are some other methods I can use to move all my data from both drives to my 1 TB HD?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm running Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

My guess would be that moving is faster...but it's probably the same.

Data must be read, copied and written in either procedure, I would not expect either to be "faster" than the other. From what I've seen, moving is really copying in some instances.

From what I read...it really depends on from where...to where.

That's my best non-answer :thumbsup:, but take a look at the following:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w...1-c07b5a5467dc/

Maybe someone else can give you a better answer.

Louis

Edit: I meant to say this earlier. Directly connecting the drive to the motherboard will result in faster transfers than if you use network channels or USB...that much I know from my own trials with moving large files from drive to drive. Important when you have as large a quantity as you stated.

Edited by hamluis, 28 January 2009 - 08:23 PM.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

Moving will move the file to the other drive and remove it from the first drive. Copying will make a copy and move that to the second drive leaving the original file in its original place.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 28 January 2009 - 07:44 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:45 AM

You could use an application like True Image by Acronis or Ghost by Symantec.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 playboidee

playboidee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

My guess would be that moving is faster...but it's probably the same.

Data must be read, copied and written in either procedure, I would not expect either to be "faster" than the other. From what I've seen, moving is really copying in some instances.

From what I read...it really depends on from where...to where.

That's my best non-answer :thumbsup:, but take a look at the following:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w...1-c07b5a5467dc/

Maybe someone else can give you a better answer.

Louis

Edit: I meant to say this earlier. Directly connecting the drive to the motherboard will result in faster transfers than if you use network channels or USB...that much I know from my own trials with moving large files from drive to drive. Important when you have as large a quantity as you stated.

Thanks. Ya I kinda figured it was the same, just thought maybe moving would be better somehow. In the past I've always used "drag'n drop" method and has never failed.

You could use an application like True Image by Acronis or Ghost by Symantec.

I tried using one application similiar to those and it copied the whole partition as well. When it copied info it seemed to make an EXACT clone of the 200GB and left 200GB space unused. So basically the new 400GB just looked like my (full) 200GB. That kinda defeated the whole purpose of buy a bigger drive! Lol.

#6 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

I thing copying is better because it's more secure.
First copy, then verify that everything has been copied properly, then delete unneeded copy.
Who knows what can happen while you are copying? Maybe you 1TB hdd crashes apparently, who knows. Hope it won't, best luck and happy copying! =)

Edited by Konstantin, 30 January 2009 - 09:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users