Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ntoskrnl.exe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 El_Tel

El_Tel

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:11 PM

Hi

I have recently up graded from Windows ME to XP, I have yet to sort out FAT32 to NTFS, but we can come to that later.

Over that last couple of days ntoskrnl.exe has been blocked, I have done a Google search and read many pages from different sources; even this forum. Today this has happened three times, so I started to read the log file and noted that ntoskrnl.exe has been allowed as well as blocked :thumbsup:

I have managed to save 4 images

Here is just one

Posted Image

Plus another one while I was sorting this topic out

Posted Image

When I did a Trace Back I found that it had something to do with my Internet supplier. Now my questions are, why should they want to snoop, yet alone use this file or associate themselves with this ntoskrnl.exe file and lastly why does Sygate block and then :flowers: allow it

Regards

El Tel
Posted Image

Tarrah then... Why not check my Intro

Many Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:30 AM

ntoskrnl.exe is a legitimate system file. I would run several different anti-malware scans to ensure that your computer is clean, and then I would allow ntoskrnl.exe in the firewall. From the brief reading I have done relating to this problem it seems to be a peculiarity of Sygate.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:44 AM

Hi...

ntoskrnl.exe is a legitimate system file.

I read this on the above as there is nothing in BC file database to explain what it does or why it looks like it is associated with my Internet supplier.

I would run several different anti-malware scans to ensure that your computer is clean,

I have run, updated files for "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" and "SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition" both came up clean.
Shortly after I up graded from "ME" I ran both and let them delete / quarantine what ever they found in early January.

I would allow ntoskrnl.exe in the firewall. From the brief reading I have done relating to this problem it seems to be a peculiarity of Sygate.

I've had a look and could not find it within my sygate firewall to allow it, putting a tick in the pop-up window box dose not work either.

Regards

El Tel
Posted Image

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

Why do you think ntoskrnl.exe is associated with your internet supplier?

I can't really help you with configuring Sygate as I have never used it before. But is there an option to allow ntoskrnl.exe to access the internet and check "Remember my answer, and do not ask me again for this application."
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hi.

Why do you think ntoskrnl.exe is associated with your internet supplier?

Posted Image
From the back trace image

I can't really help you with configuring Sygate as I have never used it before. But is there an option to allow ntoskrnl.exe to access the internet and check "Remember my answer, and do not ask me again for this application."

My questions wasn't specially for you :thumbsup:

When I had "ME" I also had AdAware Personal, but when they abandoned helping "ME" user I stopped using it.
Yesterday out of curiosity I wondered off to LavaSoft to see if I could get a XP Personal version. After downloading a newly updated copy a ran it and it only found items relating to FireFox to which I put in the ignore list.

This is not a question just something else I found
Posted Image
As the above image shows that it is set to allow, yet blocked 1490 at that snap shot; so I will have to live with this for the time being. While I attempt to sort out my other :flowers: dilemma, sorting FAT32 to NTFS from my opening post.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users