Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Stuck in Reboot Loop During Install Process

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JDM2

JDM2

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

I am not sure whether to start another thread or not.

garmanma, you were right. It was a bad stick of RAM (256). Once I got it out, then I could proceed with XP setup.

However, now the problem is as follows:

The BIOS is set to boot from D: CD-ROM first, so it can detect the XP disc, and makes it through the initial setup (I deleted all the FAT entries and choose to install w/ NTFS (Quick)), then reboots itself; however, once it gets back to the manufacturer screen, I DO NOT press any key to boot from the CD and it says "Press any key to boot from CD ...... failure" and then just keeps rebooting over and over again.

I went into the BIOS to change the boot order so that CD-ROM is not included. The boot order is just HDD-1 > HDD-2 > HDD-3 now.

Then it just says "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." and continues to reboot over and over again.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks again for your help, folks.

Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:35 PM

I went into the BIOS to change the boot order so that CD-ROM is not included. The boot order is just HDD-1 > HDD-2 > HDD-3 now.

You say you're changing the boot order to use the CD drive and not the DVD drive. Your BIOS is only picking up one optical drive.
If it doesn't see it, it's not going to give you the option to boot to it
Make sure all of the connections are tight and that the drive actually works
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 JDM2

JDM2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

You say you're changing the boot order to use the CD drive and not the DVD drive. Your BIOS is only picking up one optical drive.
If it doesn't see it, it's not going to give you the option to boot to it
Make sure all of the connections are tight and that the drive actually works

Thanks for your reply. After the computer reboots after the initial XP setup phase, I of course don't want to boot from the CD because that part of the process is done already. But for some reason it keeps trying to boot from the CD even though I"m telling it not too.

I definitely know the DVD drive works. The green light comes on anyway, during boot-up. :thumbsup:

For the hell of it, I may try installing Windows 2000 SP4 integrated instead and see if I have the same problem. Will post back to this thread later.

Thanks again for your advice.

Jeff

#4 JDM2

JDM2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

I got this again:

UNEXPECTED ERROR (0) OCCURRED AT line 1773 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c.

Time to junk the computer? :thumbsup:

Is it possible the thingy which the RAM goes into is having issues (anyone know the name of it?).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users