Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen of Death Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spunkyplayer

spunkyplayer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:15 PM

I am running Windows XP and was using IE 6.0 when this happened.

I was on-line searching for info on the tv series house (I wanted to know what time it's on). I clicked on the fox website and was able to watch full episodes of the ones I had missed, but I had to install their movie player first - which I did. Towards the end of the episode I noticed that the audio was a little off from the video and the video was slowing down/stopping and starting again. In my bar at the bottom of the screen I noticed that Mcafee was running it's updates (which was odd because it's supposed to do this in the middle of the night, not the day. So I stopped the movie player and tried to expand the mcafee scanning icon. It wouldn't do it. So I tried to close IE and it wouldn't do it. I pulled up task manager to terminate IE that way after I did this I noticed there were 2 files running called "dumprep.exe" and 1 called "mcupdump.exe"?? that had really high numbers by them - so I terminated them hoping that it would make mcafee stop. (I figured since mcafee was the only thing running and everything else was locked up it had to be those files that were causing the problems).

Well - the entire system locked and wouldn't unstick itself. So I did a hard boot (held in the off button until the computer shut itself down), waited a few minutes and then started it back up again.

The computer comes up and sounds like it's running through everything to start itself - but my monitor is black and the power light is blinking like it's waiting for the signal from the computer.

Any ideas on what to do? I don't even know how to begin troubleshooting if I'm blind.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MochaBeauDog

MochaBeauDog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

It sounds like for some reason the monitor is stuck in power save mode. Try turning off the computer. Then turn the monitor off. Now unplug the monitor from power and wait 1 minute. Now plug monitor back in and power on. Then power on PC.

#3 spunkyplayer

spunkyplayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for your suggestion - I got home and tried it - and my monitor won't shut off unless I unplug it - seems it's really stuck in standby mode. :thumbsup:

Any other ideas?

#4 Blue Coconut

Blue Coconut

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:41 PM

I am just gonna throw this question out to ya....anychance you have another monitor anywhere to check and see if your video card didn't go out. Check the obvious first. ???

Also, are comfortable going inside the PC case?

If you have a Video card installed in a PCI slot, you can go in the case remove the video card, PLEASE UNPLUG ALL POWER FIRST and Please be careful of static discharge anytime you go into the case. But removing the video card and then reseating the video card sometimes helps. But only try one thing at a time.
Ever tried landing a city block? Its a rush one cannot describe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users