Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Desktop after boot, explorer.exe keeps closing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 doctorman

doctorman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:14 PM

Hello,

Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600) OEM
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
Boot mode: Normal

I had lots of spyware/viruses on this computer and managed to get rid of them using malwarebyte, vundofix, combofix , spyware doctor, kaspersky (KIS8)
the spyware were vundo, rogue, and couple others.

The problem right now is the following:
1. when I boot the computer I get a blank empty desktop with a mouse and I can only access task manager
from task manager I can open almost anything and run all softwares, I am even connected to internet
when i open explorer.exe the task bar comes for a sec and goes basically explorer tried to open and it dies.
iexplorer.exe does open ie7 but can not do anything in it. firefox works great.

I tried to fix the issue by doing a windows upgrade install but the CD that I have is VLK and the computer has OEM windows xp both sp3 and the upgrade option asks for product Id and does not accept anything. not the original serial nor any other VLK nor student edition xp key around the net.

so i am not sure what to do...

the computer was sp2 and I upgraded it to sp3 hoping it will reset some of the system files and still the same.

I got the hijackthis log and looks clean to me but i am not an expert (I am good but not professional)

I really need to keep my date and installed programs and I am like 75% sure an upgrade install would fix it but i dont have a way of doing that

please help me out with this situation!

thank you

Edit: I just tried to upgrade install from safe mode with same results I then used the windows CD to boot and setup. looking for repair option. but I get the following error in windows xp

Setupdd.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0X00000050

am I dealing with a boot sector virus or messed up drivers?

Edited by doctorman, 28 January 2009 - 02:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MochaBeauDog

MochaBeauDog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

Have you disabled System Restore?

#3 doctorman

doctorman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

I turned off system restore to delete everything and turned it back on. I also used ATF Cleaner to clean everything

this error msg is bugging me now...0x50

Edit: I just ran a memtest program for an hour or more and couldn't find any problem with my RAM

Edited by doctorman, 28 January 2009 - 05:04 PM.

#4 doctorman

doctorman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:56 PM

it is really sad that I didnt get any help yet here...
anyway I tried another windows install and got the error 0x7b
could be a boot sector virus

can some one help me remove it
or should I trash my computer?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

It would be helpful...if you would post the exact error message received, rather than abbreviated versions. The messages include all those strings because...they are meant to be guides to be used in troubleshooting.

FWIW: Running Memtest for an hour...is not the same as running it according to the directions provided by most who recommend using it as a diagnostic. I believe the phrase is...one complete pass (on this sytem, that takes about 2.5 hours), with overnight providing a better diagnostic capability.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Louis

#6 doctorman

doctorman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

thanks for he info

I will let memtest run more...
I dont have the exact code now .. but if I get it again i will post it exactly

I will make a bootable kaspersky internet security Cd and search the whole computer
hopefully that can clean it

any better idea..
I am tired of spending so much time on this...

thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users