Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what happend to my video card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vegasripper2004

vegasripper2004

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

im half way playing a game, and then it hangs, every other letter now is purple, when i exited the game screen, my desktop got really big, so i adjusted it on my intel desktop manager, and now the words seem to be way to small and cramped together , and purple (the word purple comes out ( everything purple except the letter E.

when i went to enter the game, lets say dota, warcraft, the first screen that says blizzard,comes out really textiled, and weird it comeso ut with a purple blurr,
i heard a really weird sound when the game lagged.
if someone could please help me it would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

i heard a really weird sound when the game lagged.

Check the fan on the video card. Make sure it's working and the heatsink underneath it is clean and not packed with lint

You might need to replace the graphics driver
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

I have two video cards behind me in there boxes. Both are paper weights now. One went black screen, the other refused to let the pc even post. I have heard they can go out in many ways. As mentioned, you should check the state of any heat-sink and fan, but you may have needed to do so before the problem started.
If you have a on (mother board) board video out to hook up your monitor to you could check the system, buy connecting to it with the video card pulled for cleaning. You may have to go into system hardware settings and re-enable it first. At least that may tell you if its card related.
I'm no tech, but have lots of vid card stories. Welcome to the site!

Edited by PCwarrior, 28 January 2009 - 06:25 PM.

(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#4 vegasripper2004

vegasripper2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:58 AM

i had just cleaned it before that happend, its running perfectly, i checked it again tho, and its still running in good.

#5 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

Did you pull it out to clean, or blow it out while installed? The other point being that upon re-seating you my have introduced dust into the socket, or while it was out static got to it(the card)? Any static would of course be bad. Ya know just looking at the darn things don't tell ya a hole bunch in most cases. Sure you would see a fan issue and melting stuff or what not but for the most part a partial failure may not be a visibly noticeable thing at all. Look at the capacitors as well. The little can like structures on the board are not supposed to be even slightly bulged on top ( the side pointed down while installed).
You might try a fresh driver update, or reinstalling with (refreshed) current driver.

I'm sorry I couldn't be much help.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#6 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

Sure you would see a fan issue and melting stuff

I can't tell you how many times I've had that happen. Only ATI. My Nvidia's have yet to reach critical levels. Again I would check the slot and make sure the fan is spinning freely, If electrical static pulse hit that card. Most likely it's a gone. Overheating could also cause a game to crash. Is your case well ventilated? Sometimes cases with bad air flow pools heat and just builds. With games especially. Hard disk Mother board CPU and Video card will produce a massive amount of heat.. Also bear in mind have you moved your computer out from being in an open area and recently placed it inside a cabinet or desk with little or no open holes in the back to allow the Machine to breath?
Posted Image

#7 Viruses Suck man!

Viruses Suck man!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

Get a new video card trust me head to future shop, not too much money these days :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 vegasripper2004

vegasripper2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

thanks for all the help. i got it fixed, btw pcwarrior thanks for the help! and it was the static. i seriously did not know. :thumbsup: well its all good now i just have a weird long beeeeeep sound since i took out the RAM, my friend put his on my comp and when i put mine back in suddenly it was making that weird sound, it wasnt that bad before, but now everything lags but the internet. videos or anything that is moving makes it lag (including my pointer)

#9 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

Sounds like the Mother board is not happy with the ram situation. Ram can be toasted with great ease with seemingly minute static as well. Or the seating of the old ram may not be as clean as it should be. You might look in Bios to check that its being recognized correctly. If your running paired ram sticks its possible just one stick is not coesure.
At any rate thanks, for the closure on the grafixs problem. Glad to be of some help, in this some-times chaos filled world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users