Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG update messed up my computer....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:47 AM

I have a Dell desktop running vista. I have AVG antivirus and haven't had any problems with it up until today. I used the computer last night with no problems, but when I turned it on today, it was showing that my antivirus program was turned off, and my mozilla icon had changed. When I clicked on the icons for mozilla, avg, and a few other security programs, I get a box that says the shortcut has been changed, or moved and do I want to delete the shortcut. I also have a program called "winpatrol" that shows me when programs are being changed or added to start up. Winpatrol keeps showing me that 4 items having to do with avg are being added to start up and asking if I want to allow that. I tried to use system restore three times with three different points and that doesn't change anything. When the computer restarted after using the restore points, I get the screen that shows windows did not start and that I needed to click on Repair windows, but when I click on that the screen just refreshes and doesn't do anything. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with an AVG update because the last restore point was before an avg update that happened at midnight last night, and all the boxes popping up about avg. I can't open avg to check the program, but in the security area of vista, it shows avg is running correctly and protecting the computer.
To make sure it wasn't a virus, I've run spyware terminator, and it shows a critical object:
Invalid start up item: hklm/ software/ microsoft/ windows/ current version/ run avg8 tray. It says it is an item linked to a non existant file in my registry.
I've tried to uninstall/ reinstall firefox, but afterwords, when I click on the icon, I get the blue windows circle for a second and then it stops and nothing happens.

Edited by Dborns, 28 January 2009 - 02:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

Have you tried uninstalling, then reinstalling AVG?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

Hello
Thanks for the fast reply. I have not uninstalled avg; I downloaded it online and don't have a disk to reload it. Its not the free version. I'm willing to do that though if thats the problem. Any suggestions?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

Then maybe you should check with AVG Technical Support or AVG Customer Service first. If your issue is related to a recent update, they already may have received similar reports and have a solution.

#5 mysteriouscry

mysteriouscry

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:52 AM

i have read and heard many about avg...some says that it "destroys" some of your software...
Success is simply a matter of luck,ask any failure...-Anonymous

Posted Image

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

That can happen in rare cases. For example, Flooder.Ake was a false-positive that was seen on December 6th, 2006 and only affected WIN XP/2000 users with AVG anti-virus. The issue was caused by a bug which give a false detection of winlogon.exe. If the winlogon.exe file was moved or deleted and then the computer was restarted, it would get stuck in an infinite loop trying to reboot. The false detection was quickly resolved but many users suffered from damaged systems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users