Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitfraud boot problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 fanmarv

fanmarv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:57 AM

Hi:

We were inundated with virii when somehow the AVG got turned off.

Wwe've cleaned most of them out but the smitfraud screen persists and appears right after the "sign-in". In other words, I cannot boot to the Windows acreen. I am able to boot to "Safe Mode with DOS prompt" and in doing so, I can access the registry. I have checked to see what is in the "Run" section and deleted known bugs. I have also deleted know bugs from the "C:\" boot directory, "Windows" and "System32" directories. When I try to boot in standard "Safe Mode", the computer just hangs after sign in.

Any ideas, or should I just pull the files off that hard drive and do a fresh load?

Many Tx

fanmarv

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users