Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cmd.exe won't work

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 evercoolman

evercoolman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:03 AM

Hi,

The problem began when I downloaded some rogue file. Then msconfig, regedit, services.msc

and cmd stopped working. However after carrying out the 8 initial cleanup steps, all the others started working again except cmd.exe.

When I try to run it, I get an error message saying Windows can't find 'cmd.exe', even

though it is in the system32 folder. Now the funny thing is when I renamed the cmd.exe to

xcmd.exe, it works just fine, but the replaced file cmd.exe still won't work, and I need it

to work.

Please find attached my avira, malwarebyte, superanti spyware and hijackthis logs.

I'll appreciate all the help I can get.

Thank you.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hi,

Welcome to BleepingComputer HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal,evercoolman. :thumbup2:
My name is sundavis, I will be helping you to deal with your Malware problems today.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times. and we are trying our best to keep up.
If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not, then please do the following.

Step1
  • Download random's system information tool (RSIT) by random/random from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT.
  • Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.
  • Once it has finished, two logs will open. Please post the contents of both log.txt (<<will be maximized) and info.txt (<<will be minimized)
Step2

Start>Run>Copy/Paste the following bold command in the Run box>Click OK.

cmd /c reg.exe query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options" /s>%systemdrive%\Result.txt & notepad %systemdrive%\Result.txt

A dos window will open. That's normal. After that, a txt file will prompt, copy and paste the contents in your next reply.(If not woring, rename the cmd and run it)

In your next reply, please post back:

1.IFEO txt
2.RSIT log.txt and info.txt. Thanks

Edited by sundavis, 29 January 2009 - 01:48 PM.

#3 Shaba

Shaba

Koutsi

• Members
  • 7,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:43 AM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team
a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users