Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Engine trojan

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 twinterps

twinterps

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:23 AM

When I try to use any search engine (google, yahoo, msn), I get search results that have what I searched for in the results but ALSO "freeantivirus", etc... as part of the web address. It says "loading 7.7.7.0..." at the bottom left of the screen no matter what search engine I use. I think this is a virus/malware/trojan of some sort but I don't know how to get rid of it. I have run SpySweeper & Norton Internet Security with no results. I also tried Spybot and Malwarebytes and it found some things and I "fixed" them but it didn't help with the search engine problem. System restore won't work on my computer (I think that's a problem with NIS but not sure). I have deleted the temporary folders & cookies (IE) and caches (Firefox). I have Window XP, Service Pack 3 and lately I've been using Firefox instead of IE. I'm not sure what my options are at this point. I was thinking of trying Windows Washer but not sure if that will help or hurt. I don't want to have to swipe out everything and reinstall windows. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

I did some research online and found that I might be experiencing a fake sysaudio.sys trojan which modifies search results. Could this be my problem and if so, how do I manually remove the infected/fake files? I am a novice at this stuff. I don't even know where to find this fake files. I looked in my system32 folder and found what appears to be a fake wdmaud.sys file (19km with no version from microsoft when i click on the properties). Please please please help!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users