Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lsass.exe error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 practor

practor

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:42 AM

Hi there everyone, Haven't been in here for awhile been away back packing.

Well back into it. I have a laptop here and not much time to get it back to the client and I'm going to sleep on this so while I was a sleep your time frame might work for me :thumbsup:

I have spent ages on this today via google , reading forums etc "its a virus, no it not" and all these fix's that are not working.

lsass.exe System error
object name not found

Spec's

Compaq Presario 2500
xp home ( sorry cant boot for more info )

When loading windows it comes up with the above error click ok it reboots, same for safemode and also system repair. Tried ERD Commander but no windows to restore. Have used HD in a caddey on another pc and ran malewarebytes, spybot (some forums say spybot will fix it) etc chkdsk /r. All of the clients files are there.

I believe there is Lsass.exe and lsass.exe and the lower case being the worst.

Could some one shed some light on this for me while I'll snuggle in for the night

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:45 AM

Are they both in this directory?
C:\WINDOWS\system32\
I seem to recall the upper case being the baddy, but I could be wrong
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 practor

practor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

Good thinking I will check that

Ok checked that and it is however it's meant to be there and dated 2004. If there were any others as Lsass.exe etc thats a virus. I replaced ram didnt do anything so what I'm doing now is cloning the HD on to a new one and see if that works really doubt it.

Edited by practor, 29 January 2009 - 12:31 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

Upper case good, lower case bad
I think this might take care of the sasser virus which I believe this is:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/3097/how-to-remove-the-sasser-virus/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 practor

practor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:01 AM

Resolved!!!!! They say to replace the sam file from xp repair did that but still nothing. Backed up files needed and reinstalled OS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users