Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Empowerment Technology (Frameworklauncher.exe) not working in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rusty13

rusty13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:31 AM

Hi,

Tried out Windows 7 and must say that it uses much less system resources than Vista which makes your hardware perform better. I did an upgrade on my Acer 6920G Vista notebook and everything seemed to work perfectly afterwards (Drivers and programs) APART from the built in Acer Empowerment Technology - (Frameworklauncher.exe).

:huh: :huh: :thumbup2:

This very useful Acer backup / restore utility did not working in Windows 7, and also WarcraftIII (Frozenthrone III) would not run. Even after re-installation of the game. Apart from those 2, everything else looked fine.
After receiving very poor feedback from Acer, I am willing to find out why this useful utility is not working anymore. Very surprised as everything else worked. Could it be tweaked?? So that it works on windows 7?

At the moment, my Acer 6920G Vista laptop is configured as follows: 1 Drive (C: - main and D: Data) there is a hidden partition where the Acer backup utility (Empowerment Technology) puts the backup image.
To try and resolve this issue, I was thinking to shrink C and create another partition for Windows 7, making dual boot. My notebook would have the following configuration C (Old vista) D (New Windows 7) E (Data which was the previous D drive), The hidden Acer backup partition would remain.

I intended to use Windows 7 as my main OS and boot in Vista just to use the Acer backup utility (Empowerment Technology). That would be great, BUT I believe that ONLY C (old Vista) will be backed up! The Acer backup utility (Empowerment Technology) would not recognize or backup the new Windows 7 (D) partition! :inlove:

Any ideas??? I would love to switch to windows 7 in the future, but I have to resolve both above mentioned issues.

Keep up the good work! Any ideas....WELCOME! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

Previously I used BounceBack Professional to back up my computer systems. Now I use 7 Tools Partition Manager 2009. In my opinion, PM 2009 is much more convenient. It can make raw copies of the entire hard drive that you want to backup. Everything is backed up, including stored passwords, and you don't need to reactivate anything. PM 2009 can also make incremental copies, although I have not tried this method.

PM 2009 costs about $30 (http://www.7tools.com/pm/). I would recommend that you back up to a separate hard drive that you can use in your Acer notebook. You may have to use a hard drive enclosure. Personally, I found the following enclosure very useful:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153071
It accepts both 2.5" and 3.5" SATA hard drives.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

Windows 7 is beta - and there's 2 significant issues with that
- the OS won't necessarily support your choice of programs/utilities/drivers
- it will expire in August (I think) - and you'll have to reinstall in order to get the functionality back.

If you're not into encountering, researching, and solving issues with your OS on a regular basis - then beta software isn't for you.
As you've found out, the upgrade will import all of your stuff - and then some of it just won't work. A clean install is much better and will let you start out with the OS as it was intended to function - and every driver/program you add after that is a risk that the system will not work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 czhang

czhang

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

I agree with usasma. Don't use Windows 7 as your production OS. I have tried out Windows 7 Beta 64 bit for over two weeks now, and I have found quite some incompatibility issues with regard to software I used in Windows XP Professional.

Previously I messed up the MBR of the Hard Drive (HD) 1 having XP Pro by installing Vista 64 bit onto partition 1 of HD 2 and Ubuntu 64 bit onto partition 2 of HD 2. I recovered by using a backup HD with XP Pro installed.

One correction to my previous post about raw copy of a hard drive by using 7 tools Partition Manager 2009. I just made a raw hard drive copy of my home computer (Hard Drive: Western Digital RE3 1 TB. OSs: XP Pro on partition 1, Windows 7 Beta on partition 2, and my data on partition 3). The backup copy (Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB) would not boot at first, saying the computer configuration had changed and it could not find ntldr. I corrected this problem by installing Windows 7 Beta again onto partition 2. Then everything works just fine. This happened perhaps because the original hard drive was a copy of my computer with messed up MBR/bootloader. The first raw copy I made did run at once without any problem.

If you want to try Windows 7 Beta, I strongly recommend that you back up your original hard drive to an external hard drive, as my experience during the past three weeks messing with XP, Vista, 7, and Ubuntu suggested that one can easily mess up the MBR and make the hard drive unbootable. If that happens, you will have to reinstall the OS from scratch, and if you are lucky, you can recover your data (if it is on a separate partition).

Edited by czhang, 29 January 2009 - 11:11 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:38 PM

Just to add, if it's just casual experimentation with the new OS, try installing it in a Virtual Machine. That way you'll be able to play with it to your heart's content.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users