Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get to word documents

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Setterkate

Setterkate

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:45 AM

Used to copy & paste things to word and then would email myself the word document so I could print it later. I have been messing around trying to educate myself with Irfanview and Max Registry Cleaner. Somehow got Google desktop installed. I have uninstalled the Google desktop and Max Registry. But when I click browse, I get Office and can't find my documents to browse through. Don't even recognize what is in Office??

I hate all this complicated stuff and am sorry I even tried anything because I can't fix it to go back to what I do know. My word stuff is there. I just cant get into it to choose what I want to attach. I have been here hrs and it is all a mess.
Kay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Setterkate

Setterkate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:26 AM

I think I found the word documents. They aren't where they were and they are now in alphabetical order!?!? I liked it better the old way. Going to bed now. If anyone knows how to reverse the mess I made, pls post a reply Thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by garmanma, 28 January 2009 - 09:36 AM.
email address removed

Kay

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

Hi Kay.
Which version of Word\Office are you using?
By default, Word stores your documents in the "My Documents" folder.
To change that, open Word. Select Tools>Options>File Locations tab.
Select "Documents" from the "File Types" list then click the "Modify" button and pick your location where you want them saved.
As for the alphabetical order thing, that is controlled by a Windows registry setting and cannot be reversed concerning docs\files that have already been alphabetized. The only way to stop that behavior is to change a registry setting so that it no longer sorts alphabetical and it will only apply to new docs\files you add afterwards. You can change the view they are sorted in by clicking the "name" button at the top left corner in the folder attributes window, either via Word or Windows Explorer but it only switches it by either folder or files first and in Alphabetical order a-z or z-a. Your unwanted sort order was probably done by Max Registry Cleaner. If your comfortable in the registry, I can tell you how to change it back but I'll also need to know what OS you're using. Myself, I find it much easier to find things when they are in alphabetical order. :thumbsup:

#4 Setterkate

Setterkate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

Hi

I am up and awake. Computers infuriate me which is why I love the title BC!! Makes me want to swear, so I cry instead.

Late last night when I clicked browse, my folder was there. I clicked it and now my documents shows up. Didn't like the office folder as I didn't know what was in it. Not even sure where it is now.

I did uninstall it as I am laid off and not buying anything for awhile. My operating system is Windows 2000. I have IE but prefer Firefox. I will follow directions to not have new items not in A-Z order. I save stuff and don't always remember what it was, but can spot it when I look for it.

You said to click the name button. Then choose what. The file or folder - can I sort the documents in a folder? How to do??
Kay

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:59 AM

Perhaps I phrased it incorrectly and should have called it the name bar. :thumbsup:
Couple examples below. Just click the name bar to toggle back and forth.
You can use it to sort both files and folders.

Word view:

Posted Image

Windows Explorer View:

Posted Image

Edited by HitSquad, 29 January 2009 - 09:00 AM.

#6 Setterkate

Setterkate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

Thank you. Seems all is back to what I know. I did try to copy/past the last instructions to word but the examples wouldn't copy. Any suggestions or will this stay here @BC in my toppics for future reference?
Kay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users