Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange problems with HP dv6565 and vista

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kopite83

kopite83

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

Hi all,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6565us that I've had for just over a year now. It's got Vista Home Premium on it, and I noticed a few months ago that it wouldn't go into sleep mode. It used to do this fine, and I used it often at night with no issues. However, when I try to put it to sleep now, the screen goes black but it never shuts down fully. I can still hear the hard drive spinning, and all the lights stay on. It can stay like this for several hours, and as soon as I touch the touchpad, it will come right back as if it was never off at all.

The second problem I've started having is the laptop has started to run very hot, as in, hot to the touch. I have been told that if it was an overheating issue, the laptop should shut itself off to avoid any damage. However, mine does not shut itself off. It had never run hot in the year or so that I've had it, and I was hoping to finally have a laptop that I didn't have to worry about overheating issues, as I did with my old Dell Inspiron 600m laptop.

The third problem, and I don't know if any of these are related, but I thought I'd throw them all in here in case anyone has any suggestions, is that my laptop has started freezing up at least once a day. It's gotten so bad that I've had to manually turn it off and turn it back on. It's very annoying as well, as it never used to do that at all.

And the fourth problem, which only recently turned up a few days ago is, for some odd reason, most all of my number keys on the top of the keyboard seem to work when I press on them. Maybe all I need is a can of compressed air to spray under the keyboard to see if that will solve it. It's only recently started happening, and I am able to get them to work, but they won't work the first or 2nd time I press them, and then they will almost overcompensate for being unresponsive upon the first touch by giving me more numbers than I wanted typed (if that makes any sense).

I have been told that the best option is to do a hard factory reinstall where it will take me back to factory settings on my laptop. However, I don't have any Vista disks or HP drivers disk to use in order to do that. I have a friend coming over soon to do just that for it, but before he does, I wanted to ask a few questions I'm concerned about.

1. I have Office 2007 home and student edition, and I worry that I won't be able to get it back after the reinstall of vista, b/c I'm worried it won't accept the original registration code from the box.

2. Ditto for my Norton Internet Security 2009 (I renewed it online from my existing 2008 version) and Webroot Spysweeper (renewed online over the summer).

3. This sounds stupid but, when I bought my laptop, it wouldn't play region 2 dvds (uk and europe) and suddenly it does it with no problem. I pop one in, and HP Quickplay will load it. I am worried that if I reinstall everything, I won't be able to watch my fave dvds anymore (a lot of brit films that aren't available over here).

I guess I'll stop here and see if anyone has any suggestions for me. I don't touch IE7 but prefer Firefox, of which I have the most current version. I also had Limewire installed for awhile but have recently gotten rid of it. I can't help but wonder if that has caused any of the aforementioned problems.

I also wanted to add that I have noticed that Norton and SpySweeper will freeze up my entire laptop for a few mins while they update their definitions, etc. Is that what they're normally supposed to do?

I also wonder if my laptop isn't running slow/hot b/c I only have 14.7gb free of 187gb on my C drive.
And lastly, does anyone know what the heck the HP Recovery (D:) drive is? Does it store all the software drivers for all the stuff like HP Quickplay, etc that came on my laptop?

Edited to add: I would take it back to the store I got it from to have them fix it, but I got it at Circuit City, and they're no longer accepting any new computer repairs...

Edited by kopite83, 28 January 2009 - 12:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

A lot of times, standby and hibernation act weird because of corrupt video drivers. Try replacing it

The overheating and the freezing might be related. Using a can of air, direct the nozzle in the vent and blow it out. Then reverse direction and go through the exhaust. Do this a couple of times.

Try an external keyboard and see if the problem still persists
Blowing out the keyboard might/might not work You can also try updating that driver
I've gotten new keyboards for $25-$35

A compatible, freeware replacement for MS Office is Open Office:
http://www.openoffice.org/

I believe as long as you still have the activation key, you can reinstall Norton

Biggest problem with Limewire is downloading viruses

Rule of thumb on hard drive space is you want to have 13% free space
When's the last time you defraged the drive?

You activate the HP recovery partition when you want to reload the operating system and return it to the day it left the factory
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 kopite83

kopite83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

Rule of thumb on hard drive space is you want to have 13% free space
When's the last time you defraged the drive?

You activate the HP recovery partition when you want to reload the operating system and return it to the day it left the factory

When I ran the defrag it said it was scheduled to defrag the drive every Wednesday but I have never seen it do this. Also, it wouldn't give me the option to analyze before I defragged it, so I didn't want to defrag it unless I needed to, as it usually takes forever.

As to the activating the HP recovery partition, that is exactly what I want to do: reload the operating system and return it to the day it left the factory. However, if I do that, will I lose any unsaved data, files, installed programs, etc?

One other thing I should maybe mention here, I do have the K-lite codec pack installed b/c I was unable to watch some of the things I'd downloaded on either Windows media player or quicktime, even tho they were in the right format extentions...

#4 Cybr

Cybr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

With that many problems going on it might be worth the trouble to backup your data and start with a clean slate with a factory restore. :huh:
Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHZ | Foxconn G31MX MB | NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 512MB | 3 GB RAM | 500GB/160GB HD's | Win7-64, Vista-32, XP, Ubuntu

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

However, if I do that, will I lose any unsaved data, files, installed programs, etc?

Yes
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 kopite83

kopite83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hey all,

well my friend is coming over to sort my laptop out later today, and I'm wondering, more of the keys on my keyboard have decided to not work, in addition to most of the number keys. These keys are not sticking or getting stuck, they are just not registering that I've pressed them until a few seconds later; for instance, if I press the 7 key, I have to press it a few times, and then when I do it will show up as 77 or 777 rather than the single 7. If that even makes sense.

I spilled some melted butter over the touchpad and a small amount of it got onto the keyboard back in October or Nov of last year, and I was worried I'd have to replace my touchpad and/or keyboard. Do you think this would have had any effect on the weird key problem? It took 3 full days before I could get the laptop to work right again as the touchpad kept making the cursor go up and down and I couldn't control it or fix it other than by manually turning the laptop off and back on again.

I've just checked on ebay, and I can get a new keyboard for $25. Do you think I should go for that? I would use a can of compressed air but I don't have one nor do I know how to use it, and I worry I'd end up doing more harm than good. I also don't even know where they are sold...

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:02 PM

Did you happen to try an external keyboard to see if you can replicate the problem?
You can get compressed air at office supply store. My drug store even carries it. You just insert the tube into the nozzle, aim it and press the nozzle, much like a can of spray paint
Mark
Posted Image

#8 kopite83

kopite83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:20 PM

I've got Vista Home Premium, and I know I don't have the Complete Computer Backup center, but I want to back up some programs that I have installed on my laptop but if I copy the folder and contents from My Comp --> C: Drive -->Program Files, will I be able to click on the .exe and install the programs again once my laptop has vista reinstalled on it?

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

No, you cannot copy programs. The installer puts files all over your computer, not just in the Program Files sub-directory.
Also, the program writes entries to your registry - and you won't have those entries in the next system that you try to install it on.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 kopite83

kopite83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:41 PM

A few more questions, what is the difference between a hard restore and a re-image?

Also, will all the extra stuff be re-installed from the factory, like Home movies made easy, muvee, HP Total Care Advisor, Pandora internet radio, you know, all the add-ons they put on your laptop before you customise it? Cos crazy as it sounds, I'd kind of like to have them available after the reinstall. I guess maybe they're just links to other software b/c they don't appear on my installed programs list.

I think that's all for now, but I will add more if I can think of some!

Thanks again!

#11 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

If you are on a H.P.laptop and use the option to restore to factory settings everything you had on your computer when you bought it new will be there and everything you installed after that time will not be there.I know because I did a restore to factory settings a while back and a lot of programmes that I had deleted came back.Its like a extreme version of system restore.I had removed Norton a.v.and installed Avast but after the restore I had to remove norton again and download Avast again.Hope this is of use to you.

#12 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

Hi all,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6565us that I've had for just over a year now. It's got Vista Home Premium on it, and I noticed a few months ago that it wouldn't go into sleep mode. It used to do this fine, and I used it often at night with no issues. However, when I try to put it to sleep now, the screen goes black but it never shuts down fully. I can still hear the hard drive spinning, and all the lights stay on. It can stay like this for several hours, and as soon as I touch the touchpad, it will come right back as if it was never off at all.

The second problem I've started having is the laptop has started to run very hot, as in, hot to the touch. I have been told that if it was an overheating issue, the laptop should shut itself off to avoid any damage. However, mine does not shut itself off. It had never run hot in the year or so that I've had it, and I was hoping to finally have a laptop that I didn't have to worry about overheating issues, as I did with my old Dell Inspiron 600m laptop.

The third problem, and I don't know if any of these are related, but I thought I'd throw them all in here in case anyone has any suggestions, is that my laptop has started freezing up at least once a day. It's gotten so bad that I've had to manually turn it off and turn it back on. It's very annoying as well, as it never used to do that at all.

And the fourth problem, which only recently turned up a few days ago is, for some odd reason, most all of my number keys on the top of the keyboard seem to work when I press on them. Maybe all I need is a can of compressed air to spray under the keyboard to see if that will solve it. It's only recently started happening, and I am able to get them to work, but they won't work the first or 2nd time I press them, and then they will almost overcompensate for being unresponsive upon the first touch by giving me more numbers than I wanted typed (if that makes any sense).

I have been told that the best option is to do a hard factory reinstall where it will take me back to factory settings on my laptop. However, I don't have any Vista disks or HP drivers disk to use in order to do that. I have a friend coming over soon to do just that for it, but before he does, I wanted to ask a few questions I'm concerned about.

1. I have Office 2007 home and student edition, and I worry that I won't be able to get it back after the reinstall of vista, b/c I'm worried it won't accept the original registration code from the box.

2. Ditto for my Norton Internet Security 2009 (I renewed it online from my existing 2008 version) and Webroot Spysweeper (renewed online over the summer).

3. This sounds stupid but, when I bought my laptop, it wouldn't play region 2 dvds (uk and europe) and suddenly it does it with no problem. I pop one in, and HP Quickplay will load it. I am worried that if I reinstall everything, I won't be able to watch my fave dvds anymore (a lot of brit films that aren't available over here).

I guess I'll stop here and see if anyone has any suggestions for me. I don't touch IE7 but prefer Firefox, of which I have the most current version. I also had Limewire installed for awhile but have recently gotten rid of it. I can't help but wonder if that has caused any of the aforementioned problems.

I also wanted to add that I have noticed that Norton and SpySweeper will freeze up my entire laptop for a few mins while they update their definitions, etc. Is that what they're normally supposed to do?

I also wonder if my laptop isn't running slow/hot b/c I only have 14.7gb free of 187gb on my C drive.
And lastly, does anyone know what the heck the HP Recovery (D:) drive is? Does it store all the software drivers for all the stuff like HP Quickplay, etc that came on my laptop?

Edited to add: I would take it back to the store I got it from to have them fix it, but I got it at Circuit City, and they're no longer accepting any new computer repairs...

Hi kopite83,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

I can assist you with the Norton aspect of the issues you are having.

First of all, there are many postings on the Norton Community Forum that state that Webroot Spysweeper does cause problems when installed with Norton Internet Security 2009. Also, Norton Internet Security 2009 is a full-featured internet security application, and having two internet security applications installed can cause conflicts and leave your computer vulnerable to attack and cause other problems. I would strongly advise you to remove Spysweeper and see if it makes a difference. Removing Spysweeper and updating Norton Internet Security should definitely help out.

In regards to reinstalling Norton Internet Security, when you originally installed the application you most likely created a "MY Norton Account" which keeps track of your Activation Key and your subscription status. Therefore, if you do need to reinstall Norton Internet Security 2009, you will simply use the same Activation Key.

I would also advise you to manually run LiveUpdate within Norton Internet Security 2009, reboot into Windows Safe Mode, launch Norton, and then perform a "Full System Scan" to make sure there are no infections causing the other problems you mention.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding Norton.

Thank you,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

Edited by Michael York, 02 February 2009 - 07:40 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users