Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect Hi-Fi Speakers to computer?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hey all,

So I have a pair of Hi-Fi speakers sitting around (those ones with 2 wires, meant for connecting to a stereo system: http://www.hdinterconnects.com/images/speaker-wire-1.gif ) that I would like to connect to my computer.

Is it at all possible to do so, without having to connect through a stereo system (as I don't have an extra one to use)? Maybe some expansion card or adapter...?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:12 AM

The simplest answer is no... :thumbsup:

You do need an amplifier to provide the power necessary to drive the speakers. This doesn't have to be a complete stereo system, but it has to be an amplifier of a suitable kind to run the speakers (enough power, typically from 10 to 50 or more Watts RMS per channel, and suiting the speakers' impedance rating - 4 Ohm, 8 Ohm etc), and accept the line level input from the computer's sound card.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

Dejavu :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

Aw that sucks :thumbsup:

Is there some sort of "cheap" amplifer I can pick up to do what I want, but without having to spend lots of $$ on it?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

Any receiver or amp which generates sufficient power to drive the speakers...a decent explanation of principles involved at http://www.howstuffworks.com/amplifier.htm

Louis

#6 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

Just came across this:

http://www.zyra.org.uk/pc-ls2.htm

Does that apply to me, or will it probably not work either way?

Thanks

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:19 AM

Does that apply to me, or will it probably not work either way?

You will not get anywhere near the sound quality you're expecting
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

Alright, guess I'll just stick with my Computer speakers.

Thanks everyone ;)

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:28 AM

You could get powered speakers to get better sound, a few companies make them. Here are a few examples: http://www.nextag.com/powered-computer-speakers/search-html I have an inexpensive pair but have seen some real nice setups at Best Buy for gamers.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

The speakers sold to be used with computers have their own built in amplification, this is why you need to us another source of amplification like a receiver or integrated amplifier. The only thing that you need to look for is a auxiliary input. I would suggest that if you plan to put your speakers close to the computer and are using CRT type monitor... don't. The magnets of the speakers will cause the color of the picture to distort. Speakers built for use with computers are shielded.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:53 AM

would suggest that if you plan to put your speakers close to the computer and are using CRT type monitor... don't.

But the speakers designed for computers are Ok for that, right?

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:57 AM

depends-I have a surround sound system designed for computer use, and I could put all the speakers but the sub by the CRT monitor I used to have no problem, it would cause some minor discoloration. the magnet in it would mess with my hard drive as well if I put it side by side with the tower, but it had to be right next to it, gave it like 6 or more inches no problem whatsoever. both with the tower and the CRT.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:30 AM

The speakers sold to be used with computers have their own built in amplification, this is why you need to us another source of amplification like a receiver or integrated amplifier. The only thing that you need to look for is a auxiliary input. I would suggest that if you plan to put your speakers close to the computer and are using CRT type monitor... don't. The magnets of the speakers will cause the color of the picture to distort. Speakers built for use with computers are shielded.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:37 AM

shielded speakers are good, my subwoofer was shielded as well-just not quite well enough. so dont freak out about what I said lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users