Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser IP Problem


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kath44

kath44

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

XP SP2 on Dell desktop

This is a friend's machine who lives out of state. I spent several
hours on it Sunday (day before yesterday) using VNC (remote sftw) to
update XP and run virus scanners. She was clean and good to go.

At the last minute I installed LogMeIn Free sftw to her computer
(again using VNC) because it seemed more convenient to use than VNC.
The trial Pro version installed.

I logged off VNC, and logged in to her computer using LogMeIn and
finished a few tasks. Then I took LogMeIn out of her startup and shut
down the computer, so that the next time she booted, LogMeIn services
would not be running, as I only wanted her to start that service when
I would be getting on.

The next day when she booted, she had no wallpaper and the computer
was "really slow" ... which sounded to me like she was logged into LMI
somehow, operating her computer through the remote interface. SHe
might have opened her browser (FFox) and it might have opened to the
LMI login, I don't know. She is not computer literate so I can't tell
exactly what happened. But her browser was taking forever to respond
to anything, even once we had her wallpaper back up, and LMI seemed to
be stopped.

So I had her uninstall LMI, b/c we couldn't seem to get back to a
normal operating mode. But the problem has remained. It takes a few
minutes for the browser to find the IP address, and even then, when
she clicks on Google, it takes 20 secs or so before the page pops into
view. It's like it takes forever to find it, then once it does, it
loads quickly. I tried repairing the LAN connection and resetting the
modem. Made no diff. (Another PC in the house is surfing fine, so it's
not the local ISP.)

So I used VNC to log back into her computer and scan the reg for LMI
data and keys left over, and found 29, which I deleted. Rebooted. Made
no difference.

I called LMI's 800 number, and the tech suggested I try "Winsock XP
Fix" in case LMI corrupted the winsock. It didn't work and now I have
the following Runtime error:

MS Visual C++ Runtime Library
runtime error!
Program: C:\...
This application has requested runtime to terminate it in an unusual
manner. Please contact the application support team for more info.
.....

Does anyone know how I can get her browser problem fixed? Same thing
happens in Explorer, btw, but email (TBird) opens and collects mail
fine.

Thanks for any suggestions. (I have also posted this to a support
forum at LMI, but it doesn't look very busy.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 kath44

kath44
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

For the sake of anyone who might have an Internet access problem after trying LogMeIn, in my case the problem turned out to be a compatibility issue with Zone Alarm Pro. Something in the LogMeIn sftw did not play nice with ZAP 7.x and corrupted it so that even though browsers were allowed through the firewall, an actual connection was problematic, as explained in the OP. This, after LogMeIn was removed. FTR, disabling ZAP worked momentarily, but the firewall has so many processes running even when it's disabled, that the problem returned within 5 min on a subsequent boot.

Solution: Completely uninstall ZAP, (a nice guide for this procedure is here...it includes a .reg file to automatically clean the reg of ZAP keys, and a search string to enter in your Search For File and Folders field, for the gazillions of files left behind), and after a clean boot all was restored, and I was able to re-install ZAP. Everything works fine again.

I know LogMeIn has millions of satisfied customers, but I'll be sticking with non-Web based solutions like VNC.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users