Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

messed up BIG TIME

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Esther

Esther

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:24 AM

i need help pls,i messed up big time.
i have installed sp2 coz i got sick of the pop up asking me to do it,anyhows now i have no disk space and then i started looking round my computer and deleating things,now i only have limited internet,
when i click on a folder on my desktop i get the error message....
The file does not have a program accosiated with it for performing this action,create an association in the folder options controle panel...
i also had some hotfix things in add remove ,so i removed them too,think i removed things i shouldt have done.
any help would be very much appreciated.
oh and if i click on IE i get the internet properties box.
thanks
esther

Edited by Esther, 27 May 2005 - 05:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:12 AM

Give us some info about your system please.

If you are running Windows XP now is a good time to do a system restore to a date before you installed SP2.

I don't know how big your hard drive is but it sounds like you are runing out of space, there is a utility which may recover some space. Download CCleaner from here:
CCleaner
Do NOT use the 'Applications' or 'Issues' tabs, they are for expert users only.

It would help your system to run better if you did this:
(These instructions apply to Windows ME and XP, other versions may not have the functions described)
  • Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
    Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk:
    Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.
hth
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Esther

Esther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:06 AM

hi thanks for the reply.
im using xp,with 9G size i am also using windows.
i cant defrag coz it says i only have 5%of space,
i have done the scanes and it was clean.
i can not use the restore point as it only shows todays date.
and i cant find where i downloaded the sp2,i looked in add remove,i looked everywhere,because i think i need to get rid of it.
thank you.
esther

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:40 AM

Did you try CCleaner to make more space on your hard drive? Then you may be able to defrag.

I don't think you can remove SP2 except by using a previous restore point. You should always make a restore point before you install any software or major updates.
SP2 has many security improvements built in to it and is the recommended level for windows XP.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 storme

storme

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:31 AM

why not just uninstall sp2??? in the add/remove programs

this will give you the space you need

#6 Esther

Esther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:21 PM

i would unistall it if i could find it.
it is not in add remove,its nowhere :thumbsup:

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:41 PM

What size hd do you have and what do you have filling it up?

#8 Esther

Esther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:28 PM

it size 9G and i just have the normal stuff in add remove,i can not find where it says sp2,i dont know how to send you a copy of whats in my add remove.
thank you

#9 SM2C

SM2C

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:22 PM

Esther: In my Control Panel>Add/Remove, XP2 is listed as "Windows XP Service Pack 2". It's almost at the bottom of the Add/Remove listings. If you truly have SP2 installed, that entry should be there.
Hal
Hal

Dell 4550 2.0 GB, 512 MB RAM, Windows XP home, DVD-rom, CD-R/RW, Gforce MX 420.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:16 PM

If it is there, you shouldn't remove it!

What are the specs on your computer? I haven't really heard much about any machine running XP using such a small hard drive!

In any case if you are having problems as a result of installing any Windows security update, and that's exactly what SP2 is - a very necessary security update, Microsoft's policy is to provide free tech support to resolve the problems.

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no
charge for support calls associated with security updates.
International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

If you find your computer is adaquate as far as general overall operation (the way you use it and need it to be) I suggest you add a second hard drive. In fact, Circuit City has a Seagate 160 Gig hd on sale right now for $39.95.

#11 Esther

Esther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:51 AM

hi
i did have loads of hotfix things in the add remove,which i removed,but i can not see sp2

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:51 PM

Go to windows update, let it scan your computer and see what critical updates it says you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users