Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Malware or Systems Error?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dvdeez

dvdeez

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

I have been trying to remove a trojan from my computer. Whatever the problem was, it kept causing a "System Shutdown" countdown screen to pop up on my desktop. It stated something about the corrupted file being C:\Windows\system32\services.exe. This pop up would count down from 1 minute until it restarts the computer. While the countdown was running, a bogus antivirus program would pop up an start searching for infections.

I later learned that I was able to press CTRL ALT DEL in order to pull up the Task Manager, close the antivirus program and stop the countdown. Afer doing this I decided to delete the file services.exe in the C:\Windows\system32 file. Upon deleting the file I restarted my computer and now I'm not able to do ANYTHING.

I press F8 in order to choose boot options but no option works. I've chosen Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode With Command Propmt, Enable Boot Logging, Last Known Good Configuration, Directory Services Restore Mode, Debugging Mode, Start Windows Normally. Every Safe Mode option brings up a black screen with safe mode in all 4 coners, but I can't do anything else. If I choose Start Windows Normally, the Windows logo comes up but after that just a black screen with the mouse arrow.

Is there anything that I can do to pull up the msconfig screen? What am I supposed to do...Please Help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

Do you have an original Windows CD or a set of recovery CD's that came with your computer?
The ultimate Boot disk might be of some use
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dvdeez

dvdeez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

yes, i have a windows xp reinstallation cd

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

You say you cannot access any safemode options. All I can think to do is a reinstall of the operating system
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 dvdeez

dvdeez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:43 PM

I figured you'd say that. Is there any possible way I can just move services.exe from the recycle bin back into its proper place by pulling up the DOS screen? Thats asuuming that my root cause is not having services.exe for the boot. I REALLY don't want to lose any files.

#6 dvdeez

dvdeez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

...and thanks for you help!!

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

I'm moving this to XP
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users