Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host Process for Win32 services ....

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mortod

mortod

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

I'd appreciate someone's view on whether I even have an infection here....

I have been uneasy about my PC lately as it has sometimes been reluctant to go into standby (I normally configure it to go into standby after being idle for 15 minutes, and it often stays up for hours at a time). So I have started to suspect that something is there running in the background.

But the only hard evidence I have is now that I cloned a backup disk using XXCOPY. When I boot from that cloned disk, a window pops up very soon after logging on with this message 'Generic Host Process for Win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close'. I have seen that when booting from two different cloned disks. It seems to me that by cloning the disk problems are being revealed which otherwise remain dormant - I have never seen that error message on my 'parent' disk. (Only other difference is that when booting off the cloned disk the system recognises it as G: rather than C: as the original drive remains in the system - but I don't think that could cause this error).

Have scanned with Norton and MBAM and Windows Defender, and all are clean.

Am I just being paranoid? How to investigate further?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

Hi, there appear to be many raesons for this occurring. You should look at this one.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=894391#top

This is most likely a software issue and you should get more support on this in the other forums after reading that item.

If you want to be sure it's not malware you may also post an HJT log. They will need a day or two to respond as they are veryy busy right now. If you want to post there..
run HJT/DSS.
Please follow this guide.,, Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis. Then go here HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users