Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't even start! Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 radxx

radxx

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:05 AM

Hi there guys, please help if you can!

I posted a problem a while back but after receiving a reply something happened
Check out my original post here:
Previous problem

Whilst trying to start a repair install from XP cd, without graphics card installed (jus in case), it rebooted, surprise surprise, and started rebooting over and over. I didn't know what to do so i turned it off to think. Now it won't switch back on!

The HDD is active for at least afew seconds, as the LED on the case is blinking/steady, then it stops but on the monitor I see nothing. No BIOS, POST or even "no signal" message on the monitor.

So i tried both my HDD's in the PC I'm using at the moment, in SLAVE mode, and they are okay. This PC I'm using however is OLD. I can't fit my DDR memory, graphics card or boot into XP from the C: drive as it doesn't have enough RAM or Processor power.

So I think I've narrowed it down to either a broken Processor or motherboard. But I'm not an electronics whizz, it's just an educated guess. I'm probably wrong. I hope I am.

Is there anyway of me checking out this problem without buying it all from scratch?
Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

Did you determine if the power supply was bad or not? If you have narrowed it down to the processor, Memory, or motherboard the only way to test them without very expensive test equipment is to use known good components.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:40 PM

Well...you could always test the RAM using Memtest.

IMO, this is really a test of the RAM modules, the RAM sockets, and motherboard/RAM timing. Either one of those items could be the cause of errors during testing.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

The Memtest download is in .iso file format, which must be burned using an .iso-burning program. This will result in a bootable CD, which can be used to test the RAM functionality, regardless of whether Windows boots.

Louis

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:43 PM

Yes If you can get the computer to turn on and pass the POST test you could use memtest to test the memory. If the motherboard, processor, or memory modules are destroyed the computer won't pass the POST test.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 radxx

radxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

Thanx for the help guys but as I can't get the problem PC to reach the POST or BIOS i can't do anything like memtest (which I downloaded jus b4 the problem started cos I thought it may have been the cause of my initial problem).
As I said the two PCs I'm using are not compatible apart from the CDs and HDDs which connect with the regular IDE ribbon cables. And there was no change by swapping either HDD to either PC.
I don't know if there's a way to narrow it down further with the problem PC.
I made no hardware changes when any of this happened so you should understand how this seemed to come from nowhere!
With no apparent cause I can't work out whats the culprit in this case.

May have some older sdram I could try but if its the processor or motherboard that's causing the problem, will this damage
the ram too?

Many thanx again

#6 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

radxx, sorry to hear of such a drawnout prob. I don't have loads of formal training, but. I read your earlier post and found no mention of you checking the video card, other than drivers. The hiss or whatever sound and smell of hot pc stuff is what brings this tip to mind for me. The pc was in screen saver using the video card to produce it before your prompt to wake from back ground. Some screen savers are pretty vid card demanding. So lets say the card had had enough maybe.
I had my pc up and running just fine, shut it down(full shut down),then upon tryn to start the next day, nothing. Zero restart. Turned out that the card had a short. the fan almost froze(stiff to turn)and one capacitor semi burst(small can on board) popped up at end. The pc in this case wouldn't go to post,couldn't get to bios nothing but the power would cycle (burst to) HDD,Fans, what ever, for just a second or so then the hard drive light on front of case would go red. I pulled the power lead to the vid card and the system booted just fine. I couldn't see it because I didn't move the monitor cable to on board vid connector but I could tell. So I put in a back up vid card and alls well.
The reboot that you are running into could be caused by a similar card issue. Possibly shutting down PSU for a second do to a short or card failure ( I think you mentioned a failed Nvidia message in prev post). Cards can cause all kinds of manifestations. Blue screen, blotched vid only, on and on. So be sure to check for physical signs on the business side of the card at any rate. I would pull it and use a alternate, just to take it out of the equation.
They could go bad as you mention, saying the system ran for awhile then went bad again. The temperature of a warming circuit could cause intermittent failure and you would be, chasing the tail so to speak.

Just my 2 cents, Best wishes
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#7 radxx

radxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

Thanx a lot for your input PCWarrior.

I'm hoping it is the graphics card more than the others. For lots of reasons but also because the graphics card seems to be the easiest to replace.

Although handing over my hard-earned reddies for something I already have and that may be incompatible is well annoying.
I've seen much better on ebay that are cheaper than I paid for this one but I'm a little scared of choosing the wrong one now.

I jus wish there was some other choice, something else i could try.

So looks like it all boils down to money, yet again! Grrr! I hate that. Bad enough its a problem I can't fix on my own without it wasting some of my cash, too.

Looks like this is the end of the thread then guys. Thanx for your help dudes!

Rad

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

Sorry there wasn't an easier or cheaper solution to your problem. :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

Did you try starting the system without the board installed? It won't be viewable but you'll notice if all sounds normal, maybe. Plz post your eventual solution (Closure).

Edited by PCwarrior, 01 February 2009 - 04:32 PM.

(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users