Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ok new duel core computer and don't know nothing about it

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thorlof2

thorlof2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:03 AM

ok so i have this new dell duel core computer here are the specks onm it and the mother board

Dell Computer Corporation Precision WorkStation 530 MT
System Service Tag: 4V4LW11 (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: 4V4LW11
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
Board: Dell Computer Corporation Precision WorkStation 530 MT
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A08 07/26/2002

so i have a few questions it's an older computer can never afford a new one so what i wanna do is
up grade my graffics card my prossers and my hardrives now for a graffics card i have a
niida quadro 4 card was wanting something better and for hardrives i have two 18 gig scsi drives want to go eather ide or sata is there a way to do that with out changeing my mother board as far as prossers here is what i got

1.80 gigahertz Intel XEON (2 installed)
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

i wouls lieke to do this as cheaply as possible but if i can't that's fine
thanks for reading this

thorlof

Edited by thorlof2, 27 January 2009 - 09:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:56 PM

That was a sweet, and expensive, rig in it's day.

Upgrades might not be economical. I do know it used RAMBUS memory, figure $100/gig if you are lucky. It had an AGP pro slot so a video upgrade is possible. I do not know if the board had an IDE controller on it as it was a SCSI world back then on high end stuff (Dell does list an IDE driver though). You could very well put in a SATA expansion card to use with new drives. This is just one of those systems that's neat to see and play with, but as far as something to use for a home system, I don't know. Dual Xeons should provide plenty of heat though if you live up north. This is just one project where it will be tough to justify upgrade outlays to use it for the home.

Kind of the same boat I was in many years ago when I inherited a dual Pentium Pro setup from one of my customers. It was fun to play with, but ultimately not cost effective to upgrade. Parted it out on Ebay.

Edited by dpunisher, 27 January 2009 - 04:57 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:45 PM

What Type of graphics card are we looking at here. Most likely it will be AGP. There is two Flavors 1.5 Volt and 3.0 Volts. Im sure someone will provide pictures to help determine which socket you have. From what I understand it may be a 1.5 which are hard to find but I found the Nvidia 6200 AGP 1.5v worked on an old Compaq. It seems to be one of the highest upgrades possible other then the ATI units.

I also Recommend

http://www.iespell.com

Good Addon for IE
Posted Image

#4 thorlof2

thorlof2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

yea it's agp ias far as the voltage i am not shure but what i am realy interested to do is up date my prossers and my harddrives

#5 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:36 AM

Ok i'm going to throw some links your way and you tell me if you can use any of these items for upgrades.
http://www.epinions.com/Dell_Precision_Wor...lay_~full_specs

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....;name=LGA%20771

Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....58&name=1GB

Video card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150269

Please note that I am guessing based on the limited information provided. Due to the fact that this Machine isn't well known in the Tech world, It's hard to dig up exact information from resources
Posted Image

#6 thorlof2

thorlof2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:49 AM

well the ram is not ddr it's rdr ram the prossers look fine this computer was made in 2001 or 2002

#7 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:57 PM

DRD eh? Well. I would hate to say it but... I am afraid you are going to have a hard time finding upgrades back from 9-8 years ago. All that stuff is obsolete. So.. I think its safe to say that. You might have to use what you have. Worse comes to worse. Save some money and Buy a new computer or if you feel that you are capable of building one yourself from parts like case CPU Memory Hard disk drive so on and so forth. I would say. It's a learning experiance and you will get a good machine out of it when you are done. Best pat about building your machine. Like everyone that dose it will tell you. Its nothing like having the satisfaction of building something from the ground up. Not to mention you know exactly what hardware you have in that new machine. I Build machines for friends and family just for a hobby. It's always nice to see something that was just laying in parts come to life.
Posted Image

#8 thorlof2

thorlof2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:07 AM

well like i said i can't afford toi buy a new machine that's why i alkways have older tec but if i can up date this guy to it best i would have a pretty good maching for what i want i think lol

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:33 AM

You are going to "update" yourself into a dead end and essentialy throw money away on a lost cause. Save your money and build a fresh system when you can afford it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users