Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tracing email ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leeboy

leeboy

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:40 AM

Hi all. I have been having some problems lately with someone sending me nasty annonymous emails. is it possible to trace where these are coming from i.e find out who is sending them ??

I would greatly appreciate any help with this. these emails are causing me an awful lot of worry and they are damaging to my life. i really need to find out where they are coming from so I can put to them once and for all before anymore damage is done.

the sender has so far caused me an awful lot of trouble and ruined my relationship with my girlfriend. she has recieved annonymous emails too and im sure they come from the same person. :thumbsup:

please help !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 silverojo

silverojo

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:46 AM

What I'd do is view the full headers of your e-mail (how to do this varies on what you're using...just click on HELP to see how to change this view), and look for the IP address. Copy that IP address, as you're going to need it.

Trace the IP address by going to this site, and choosing any of the links:
http://www.traceroute.org/#USA

For instance, I used this one:
http://www.es.net/hypertext/welcome/pr/trace.html

In the blank box, paste the IP address you copied, then start the search. When it's done, look at the last line for the name of an internet service provider's website.

Go to that website and get the contact info, preferably for the "abuse" department. If there isn't one, just forward one of the harrassing e-mails to whatever e-mail addresses you CAN find, and make a complaint.

Also, DO NOT delete any of the messages you get! Because if the messages become threatening, you'll have more evidence to turn over to the police. Most police have an internet division nowadays, that's trained to deal with internet threats/harrassment.

Good luck!
Microsoft software doesn't get released...
it escapes, leaving a trail of destruction behind it.

Posted Image

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

Also, DO NOT delete any of the messages you get! Because if the messages become threatening, you'll have more evidence to turn over to the police. Most police have an internet division nowadays, that's trained to deal with internet threats/harrassment.

I agree with this 100% if they are truly threatening. The important thing to do is documentation
Save the emails and keep a detailed log
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:26 AM

thanks very much for the replies and the advice, its much appreciated. the emails are not threatening as such, just malicious. unfortunately the damage has already been done :thumbsup: stupidly i deleted the emails i had as they were upsetting but im pretty sure i haven't heard the last from whomever sent them. at least now if i do get anymore i can find out where they came from and deal with the culprit accordingly. also once i can prove the source of them it may undo some of the damage already done.

thanks

Leeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users