Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trojan agent found inside application

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crimlair

crimlair

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

I've recently installed Auslogics Visual Styler to configure the desktop icons on my laptop. During installing, there was an option if I wanted to make a desktop shortcut to go to Ebay for updates so I ticked it on for no purpose except surety that I acquire all services. After installation, the system has been lagging off considerably and drags windows. Taskman shows erratic performance. So I ran a full system scan using Malware Bytes and it found one infected item:
trojan.agent in Ebay desktop shortcut.
It was removed and cleaned.
But it puzzles me. How in the world did it get there in the first place? I've had this same incident twice, when I was downloading a bunch of anti virus & malware from download.com. My laptop doesn't have internet connections, so I get the downloads from the public internet cafe with a USB, and it has AVG as the AV tool. I also scan that usb upon plugging it to the laptop.

Can a malware/virus/worm really hide inside an installer application so it goes undetected until it's installed?

Edited by crimlair, 26 January 2009 - 10:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:21 AM

Absolutely. you've witnessed it. :thumbsup:
If your AV software is set to perform real time file monitoring, it "should" detect it during the install routine before it actually gets installed. The downside of that is that it too can slow your system down and can screw up an otherwise perfectly legitimate install through mis-identification. I'm not familiar with that program but if the e-bay thing is for auction monitoring or something, I could easily see why it could be identified as a trojan even though that might not be it's purpose.
In any case. you're not the first person to run across this with apps from download.com. Happens alot and I avoid it like the plague. The same things can always be gotten elsewhere.

Edited by HitSquad, 27 January 2009 - 07:22 AM.

#3 crimlair

crimlair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:36 AM

It's pretty alarming to know that even malware/viruses can hide inside installer applications nowadays. :thumbsup: Makes me want to tighten the security more. And it makes me wonder if clicking on a link can also do the same case... Darn, I guess you can't trust everything. It's always prerequisite to be cautious against these things.

I have tried some AV tools since the reformatting of my laptop. Currently, I have Avast! installed and it's doing just fine, until expiration date that is. Then I think I'll switch to either AVG or Avira. But still, I think that's still not enough. I guess no one's completely exempted from being infected...

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:36 AM

Then I think I'll switch to either AVG or Avira...

crimlair,

Be aware that at present the free verson of AVG is unsupported. This may or may not be the case when your Avast expiry date goes by.

Just check it out before you download it.

:thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#5 crimlair

crimlair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:35 AM

So Avast! has better accomodation? Hrm... It comes with a lot of services too... But I'm used to AVG. :thumbsup: My bro used to have an AVG that never expires, but he deleted it. I guess I'll have to rely on Avast! for a while until I know how he does that without paying.
I'm also thinking of what Avira can do and install it... I just hope there's no virus hiding inside that application when I did that. Can you say it's efficient in its job too?

Edited by crimlair, 29 January 2009 - 05:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users