Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Boot Options Work!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dvdeez

dvdeez

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

I have been trying to remove a trojan from my computer. Whatever the problem was kept causing a "System Shutdown" countdown screen to pop up on my desktop. It stated something about the corrupted file being C:\Windows\system32\services.exe. This pop up would count down from 1 minute until it restarts the computer. While the countdown was running, a bogus antivirus program would pop up an start searching for infections. I learned that I was able to press CTRL ALT DEL in ordr to pull up the Task Manager, close the antivirus program and stop the countdown. Afer doing this I decided to delete the file services.exe in the C:\Windows\system32 file. Upon deleting the file I restarted my computer and now I'm not able to do ANYTHING. I press F8 in order to choose boot options but no option works. I've chosen Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode With Command Propmt, Enable Boot Logging, Last Known Good Configuration, Directory Services Restore Mode, Debugging Mode, Start Windows Normally. Every Safe Mode option brings up a black screen with safe mode in all 4 coners, but I can't do anything else. If I choose Start Windows Normally, the Windows logo comes up but after that just a black screen with the mouse arrow. Is there anything that I can do to pull up the msconfig screen? What am I supposed to do...Please Help!!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum as suggested by the post below. ~ Animal
Edit: Also note related topic in XP at this link. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=B...mp;aq=f&oq=

You may want to look at some of the links on the Blaster Worm and Sasser Worm.

I'm no expert but I would definitely be leaning toward a malware solution.

You might want to consider posting at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ , the folks there would be able to confirm/refute whether it is a malware situation you have.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users