Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connect monitor to desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mariekr

mariekr

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:15 PM

I moved my computer to another room to paint the room - my son reconnected everything with no problem. I moved everything back. I cannot get my flatpanel monitor to work. I have to use my old behemoth monitor, and there is no room for it. I want to reconnect my Acer al2016w monitor. It was previously connected using a blue cable and an adapter - I think that is called a DVI to VGA adapter, or vice versa. I put the connecting cable back in the same spot, the blue DVI plug receptor thing. The Acer monitor is powered and I can access the menu screen. I says I have an analog signal. I have tried telling it analog or digital, and also choosing DDC/CI on or off. I don't know if my choices are saved. Anyway, I never see anything on the monitor past the opening "windows" on a black screen. I get either a dark screen or a whited-out and "twitchy" screen. What do I do to get this monitor going again? I was not aware of changing any settings in the process of moving, but I have repeatedly been in the Acer monitor setup menu since I had no proper connection.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

Double-check for bent pins on the plug and adapter
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mariekr

mariekr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

i see nothing obviously out of line. i do think i have a connection with my computer. Don't I? I get the windows screen. I think the problem is in some setting with the monitor. ??? Anyway, the pins look ok to my untrained eye.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

If your video card has dual outputs switch it to the other port. Or try hooking both monitors up at the same time and find out which port is listed or shown as monitor 1. Your Bios screen and the windows splash screen will show on either port but when the desktop loads it will load on the primary monitor.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 28 January 2009 - 08:01 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users