Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijackthis with Vista

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jaybird934

Jaybird934

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

As someone new to the world of Vista, I'm having problems getting HJT version 2.0.2 to clear a few 02 and 04 entries from my mom's semi-new laptop. I'm relatively sure she's not infected, I'm just cleaning up entries that I don't want running all the time. BUT, for whatever reason HJT entries I clear and hit "fix checked" always Reappear on the next scan. I've never had this problem before...is there something I must do in Vista to get this to work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

This is one of the reasons that HiJackThis should only be used under the supervision of an experience malware removal team member.
HiJackThis is not intended as a cleanup utility, and will give strange results on occasion when it's used as such.

For cleaning up startup entries a much more efficient program is the free Autoruns available here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx

This won't cure all of the problems that you're experiencing, but a bit of research (Google is a great tool) on these re-appearing programs will show you that there are other things starting that are regenerating them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Jaybird934

Jaybird934
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for your response usasma. Before I was able to answer my own question, I followed your advice and got the autoruns program, which I actually really liked. Whether HJT was intended as a cleanup utility or not, I've never had any problem using it to remove registry entries for legit programs in the past (on XP). I assume (without 100 percent confidence) that autoruns does the exact same thing....namely, delete the run or runonce registry entry that launches many programs (plus a whole lot more).

Long story short, in order to do this in Vista....HJT must be right clicked and "run as administrator"....or it won't work. This is also true of many other programs in Vista...which I didn't know. Of course, you do need to know what you're doing....or the consequences of removing a specific entry may be....but assuming you do, this works like a charm.

thanks again as I really like the program you suggested and will definitely keep it as well, JB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users