Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG, Windows Defender, MalwareBytes?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nia(:

Nia(:

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

Should I download AVG?
Will it affect MalwareBytes?
Or Windows Defender?
Can someone give me a link to a good antivirus software on AVG's website?

Sorry for all the questions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,488 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

Yes use MBAM it should be no problem with either app. It not a true AV as the AVG is,but is is a highly effective Anti Malware scanner.

Download it from here...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Edited by boopme, 26 January 2009 - 04:28 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Nia(:

Nia(:
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

Yes use MBAM it should be no problem with either app. It not a true AV as the AVG is,but is is a highly effective Anti Malware scanner.

Download it from here...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I already have MalwareBytes downloaded, but if I download AVG[Antivirus] will problems occur? Will MalwareBytes screw up?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,488 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:06 PM

those should all play nice together..
Edit:
Which Defender and sre you using XP or Vista?

Edited by boopme, 26 January 2009 - 05:07 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Nia(:

Nia(:
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

those should all play nice together..
Edit:
Which Defender and sre you using XP or Vista?

"Windows" Defender and Vista.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,488 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

OK just wanted to check, they will all work.

#7 Nia(:

Nia(:
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

OK just wanted to check, they will all work.

Wait,
what is MalwareBytes exactly?
What does it cover?
[Malware,Trojans..etc]?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,488 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

It's the next generation Anti-Malware application tool. It can detect and remove malware that even the most well known anti-virus and anti-malware applications fail to detect. Effective with viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and malware that are constantly evolving and becoming harder to detect and remove.

#9 Nia(:

Nia(:
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

It's the next generation Anti-Malware application tool. It can detect and remove malware that even the most well known anti-virus and anti-malware applications fail to detect. Effective with viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and malware that are constantly evolving and becoming harder to detect and remove.

Sorry for all the questions.
Finally,
what is AVG?
What does that cover?

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:45 PM

AVG is an anti virus.

#11 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

AVG is a good, real time scanner and file/prog. scanner, although it may miss some things some of the time. Malwarebytes Is a scanner as well but, not so much a real time prog. . Scanning ongoing input and output is not its forte, so to speak.
They can conflict. The use of AVG, while doing a scan with another virus prog can result in both services finding a piece of malware and then its up to you which kid hit first. So disable one (malwarebytes only runs if you ask it to) when running the other has been suggested to reduce such multiple findings among-st two programs designed to do similar tasks.

Having more than one virus/walware prog runnable is a great idea for all. Its like having two teams on your side. Keep both updated but separated. As it turns out, one prog. just don't catch em all, all the time

Best wishes.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#12 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

Hello Nia(:

what is AVG?
What does that cover?

It depends which AVG version you download and install. AVG 8.0 free edition includes Anti-Virus, Real-time protection, E-Mail scanner and anti-spyware.

AVG 7.5 only includes a real-time protection anti-virus. If you buy AVG 8.0 Internet Security Suite it has everything including a 3rd party firewall and rootkit scanner etc... I am not a fan of Security Suites though, takes too much resources.

Make sure you have only one anti-virus and firewall software installed and running at once. Have a few anti-spyware programs and you would be fine. Be careful what you do on the web too. Safe surfing habit is the number 1 protection out there. It's free and it's all in your control :thumbsup:

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users