Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

task manager processes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

so ive been doing the ctrl alt delete thing and looking at the task manager at all of the crap running when i first turn on my daughters new computer...

out of the list below what can i blow out of my system, what can i get out of the start up folder (i assume thats where they reside) and what should i keep?

my apologies if this is the wrong forum. i couldnt find anything else that seemed to fit...

windows XPpro service pack 3 (downgrade from vista)
pentium duocore
4gb ram

these are all EXE files:

taskmgr
isuspm
myagttry (TWO of these running)
pdvdaxsrv
wuauclt (TWO of these running)
iaanotif
8169diag
igfxsrvc
jusched
svchost (SIX of these things running!)
igfxtray
hkcmd
igfxpers
rthdcpl
mpfsrv
hwapi
explorer
alg
jqs
engine server
spoolsv
mcshield
isass
services
winlogon
csrss
smss
iaantmon
mygtsvc

then i also had

system
systemidlepross

these last two didnt have the EXE extension

i know what a couple of these are (mcshield is the mcafee software for example but the rest?...)

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

At the very top of the forum page you will see a set of tabs
Click on the one that says Startup List
When searching, add the .exe
Don't get worried when you see high numbers in System idle process. That's a good thing
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

thanks but get a load of THIS crap...

i typed in wuauclt.exe and the search engine came up with this:

Added by BackDoor CLT. This infections connects to an IRC server where it awaits commands. If this infection is on a Windows XP, NT, 2000, 2003, or V ... Read More
wuauclt.exe

Added by the Troj/QQRob-AAQ Trojan.
wuauclt.exe

Added by the Backdoor.Ranky backdoor Trojan. This infection should not be confused with the legitimate C:\Windows\System32\wuauclt.exe file. ... Read More
wuauclt.exe

Added by the W32/Tilebot-JW network worm.
wuauclt.exe

A variant of the IRCBot family of worms and IRC backdoor Trojans. This infection should not be confused with the legitimate C:\Windows\System32\wuaucl ... Read More
wuauclt.exe

so this is a worm or virus or trojan that got on my daughters computer THE FIRST TIME i went online? or is it something that MICROSOFT wrote and installed?

what a bunch of dogsqueeze. ive got to learn how to work linux...

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

that got on my daughters computer THE FIRST TIME i went online?

No Those were legitimate files

This infection should not be confused with the legitimate C:\Windows\System32\wuauclt.exe file

Malware can hide by giving itself a legitimate process name. What gives it away is if the file is in a different location then where it's supposed to be
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

Forgot to mention that instead of disabling in misconfig, Autoruns is safer:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
Also, there's an applicaion written by a person that was tired of all the crud that came with his Dell and were hard to get rid of:
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/
Don't click on the download button on the top right by mistake. That's an advertisement
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users