Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendations for an antispyware program

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 snowdrop

snowdrop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

Papakid

are you not able to run SAS or update or run a scan after you get that mesage about searching for newer windows version

absolutely nothing :flowers:

and a lot of the changes in there have to do with dealing with rootkits. Rootkits can only be run on harddrives formatted to NTSF (NT-based systems), 98--or the range of 9x/ME can not be formatted to NTSF so that is something you don't have to worry about. A lot of malware out there will only run on NT-based systems as well, so in a way 98 and it's predecessor's are more secure than the now more popular operating systems. You still need to protect the system, but from threats on a lower level technology-wise.

Do I understand from these comments that SAS is not compatible with the 98SE OS? It is a FAT 32 system ( which I confess means nto a lot to/for me :thumbsup:

I think the newer SAS versions have changed ;the older ones WERE runnable on the computer;

I wonder if anyone has a link TO an older version as I so far have been unable to locate one so I can update its definitions but NOT the SAS version itself and thus give SOME protection :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

No, what those comments mean is that Rootkits are incompatible with your system and won't run on it. When SAS updates the program, it makes the program more powerful in order to deal with rootkits and other threats that run on NT-based systems and not on yours. But those program updates may cause problems like yours on older (FAT32 and older) systems. So you are on the right track in wanting to revert back to an older version of the program. It is not documented on the SAS site in the system requirements that there are compatibility problems with SAS and Win98--the FAQ linked to earlier says it is compatible, but if you go to the SAS support forum and search for 98SE you'll see that other people are also having problems with the newer versions.

http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtop...?f=2&t=2500
http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtop...lit=98SE#p13667

As posted in the first thread linked to, to get an older version, go to File Hippo and look at the list of older versions in the right hand column:
http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/

Apparently, the last version that works well with 98SE is 4.24 1004. Definitions updates should work with that version as well.

I suggest you read both of the two threads linked to in their entirety for more information.

One thing that is mentioned is that A-squared is another alternative that should work with 9x/ME. I don't normally recommend it either as there is an abnormally high rate of false positives with it.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

#18 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

... a FAT 32 system ( which I confess means nto a lot to/for me

If you want to learn more about file systems, here are a few useful links to read.

What is a file system?
FAT (File Allocation Table)
NTFS (New Technology File System)
NTFS Overview: OS Compatability
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#19 snowdrop

snowdrop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:58 AM

I know all these will work with 98.

Avira
Avast4
Bitdefender8
AVG

Superantispyware
Spybot S&D
Adaware

SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard
WinPatrol

Dr.Web CureIt

System Cleaner
AVG vcleaner
Norman Malware Cleaner

May I ask if this

http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/

is the relevent program although I do NOT yet require the antivirus part of the program so will need to learn how NOT to install that part :thumbsup:

#20 snowdrop

snowdrop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:32 AM

I know all these will work with 98.

Dr.Web CureIt

System Cleaner
AVG vcleaner
Norman Malware Cleaner

May I ask if this

is the relevent program although I do NOT yet require the antivirus part of the program so will need to learn how NOT to install that part :flowers:

am 'bumping' this to ask

When someone has the time and sees this I would be grateful for clarification on this please :thumbsup:

#21 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

Yes, its a separate stand-alone scanner.

This is a FREE anti-virus and anti-spyware utility based on Dr.Web Anti-virus scanner,...

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users