Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendations for an antispyware program

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

Hi; one of my trusty computers is a Win 98se model ; however, I know that Malwarebytes is sadly not compatible with it and running superantispyware on it is causing problems , despite a complete reinstall of said program.

Could anyone recommend an antispyware program I might try on this trusty computer :flowers: :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hellknight

hellknight

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

Hi SnowDrop
Spybot Search & Destroy should be fully compatible with win98se, and is freeware.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:03 PM

I know all these will work with 98.

Avira
Avast4
Bitdefender8
AVG

Superantispyware
Spybot S&D
Adaware

SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard
WinPatrol
Dr.Web CureIt
System Cleaner
AVG vcleaner
Norman Malware Cleaner

Edited by boopme, 26 January 2009 - 07:03 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

What problems are you having when you use SuperAntiSpyware?

#5 snowdrop

snowdrop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:55 PM

What problems are you having when you use SuperAntiSpyware?

For some unknown reason it refused to open or respond when I right mouse- click the Icon in the System Tray >>>but maybe this is 'normal' for this program now? I still have it uninstalled :thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

I had this saved in my notes

When SAS freezes

Make sure you are running ver. 4.22.1014 and if you are, then uncheck the Kernel Direct and Direct Disk Access options under the scanning control tab of SUPERAntiSpyware's Preferences.

This was from Nick (SAS) some time ago
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,386 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

Prevx CSI Free Malware Scanner
ClamWin Portable <- useful if you do not have an anti-virus and cannot install one
Trial version of Trojan Hunter
Trial version of Trojan Remover
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 O-Razor

O-Razor

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

I use "Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0" on Windows 98SE. This package has a firewall and anitvirus.
You should have a minimum of 256Mb of memory or it will be noticeably slow. 512Mb would even be
better. The 7.x version only works on Windows XP and higher.

You can download the software here:
http://kasperskyusa.com/trials/kis6.0.2.621en.exe

This is the most current version of 6.0. It's a 30-day fully functional trial that is made
permanent by entering an activation code.

If you like you can get a discounted package from Amazon.com thru the mail. You just need to enter the activation code
off the CD sleeve. Avoid the used packages and also "Kaspersky Anti-Virus" which is only part of the Internet Security
package.

Look for it at Amazon.com here:
Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)

Good Luck!

#9 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:36 AM

O-Razor,

I beg to differ.

I had trouble using Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 on an XP machine with 1024 mb RAM, so I finally uninstalled it after 3 months of fighting with it. It was not only bulky, but annoying. I bought it because it had the best rating, and I have no doubt it did a good job protecting my computer, but I had trouble using my computer and finally replaced it with one of the free stand-alone programs. I can't imagine that it would work better with 98SE than with XP. It sounds like your own experiences with it were good.

#10 O-Razor

O-Razor

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:59 AM

I wasn't suggesting using "Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0" on XP, just Windows 98SE.
Version 2009 may work better on XP and above. I haven't tried it.

#11 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:09 AM

Hi O-Razor,

I have to come back to this, because I'm surprised at what you're saying. Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 came out long after XP was already developed, so it would surprise me that a tool which requires a lot of system resourses for an XP machine, would do better on a 98SE which has even LESS resources. I don't understand this. The security suite 6.0 is a really complex piece of software that requires a lot of cpu and memory.

Zllio

#12 O-Razor

O-Razor

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

Hi Zillio,

It can be a problem finding suitable software for Windows 98SE.
It entered that gray unsupported area in 2006.

I think it's important to have an always on firewall & antivirus.
Windows 98SE is still powerful enough to get you to places that
will get you in trouble.

Many companies have dropped support for Windows 98SE and there
is the issue of continuing to get antivirus definitions for the package
you choose.

What would you suggest for an always onfirewall & antivirus?

Perhaps there is a forum topic on the merits of "biting the bullet"
and leaving the old behind?

#13 snowdrop

snowdrop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

I had this saved in my notes

When SAS freezes

Make sure you are running ver. 4.22.1014 and if you are, then uncheck the Kernel Direct and Direct Disk Access options under the scanning control tab of SUPERAntiSpyware's Preferences.

This was from Nick (SAS) some time ago

I haver again tried to load and run SAS from http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

I note

http://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=6

What operating systems is SUPERAntiSpyware.com software compatible with?

SUPERAntiSpyware.com software is compatible with Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP Home/Professional, 2003, and Vista.

However, I wonder if this is not current information as I have now received a message whilst trying to open and run the SAS program that the program is searching for a more up to date windows version .....

BUT on a google search I cannot as yet locate any information to suggest that SAS is NOT now compatible with Windows 98se :thumbsup:

BUT if it IS now NOT compatible,why did the system allow the download of the SAS EXE? :flowers:

#14 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

Hi O-Razor and Snowdrop,

I agree that a resident antivirus and firewall are vital. Avast home still supports windows 98se and it will work with Sygate firewall, which is great and with Jettico v.1

Antivirus:
Avast Home - http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avast_Home_Edition_d1968.html

Firewalls:
Sygate Personal Firewall - http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sygate_Personal_...Free_d3356.html
Jetico Personal Firewall v.1 - http://www.jetico.com/jpfirewall.htm

Hope those help.
Zllio

#15 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,608 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

snowdrop, are you not able to run SAS or update or run a scan after you get that mesage about searching for newer windows version? SAS should still be compatible with 98SE and I am not sure why it disagrees with your particular system, but that does happen.

If you can't get it to work, then I would dump it and stick with Spybot as suggested by hellknight. Because of 98's older technology you don't need something as powerful as SAS. I just looked at SAS's Product Release History
http://www.superantispyware.com/producthis...ANTISPYWAREFREE and a lot of the changes in there have to do with dealing with rootkits. Rootkits can only be run on harddrives formatted to NTSF (NT-based systems), 98--or the range of 9x/ME can not be formatted to NTSF so that is something you don't have to worry about. A lot of malware out there will only run on NT-based systems as well, so in a way 98 and it's predecessor's are more secure than the now more popular operating systems. You still need to protect the system, but from threats on a lower level technology-wise.

Spybot was at its height when 98SE was the most popular OS. After recently reading about the fiasco last year when an update caused NT-based systems to get stuck in a login loop, and the poor way in which it was handled--along with some other factors, I swore I would never recommend it to anyone again. But one reason for the updater problem in the first place was because they were keeping Spybot compatible with Win95. So you know it's going to be compatible.

Just make sure you have a strong AntiVirus. I know you haven't asked about an AV, but I have to take issue with boopme's info--Avira AntiVir and AVG 8 and above are not compatible with non-NT based systems--AVG 8 incorporated the old ewido anti-malware engine which was always NT-based only. Of the big three free AV's that offer protection (BitDefender Free doesn't), only Avast is still compatible with non-NT-based systems.

On my old 98SE system, which I haven't fired up for quite some time because the monitor is going out, I have AVAST, Outpost Free and Spybot and that is sufficient for me.
-------
Previewing my post, I see Zllio has posted ahead of me. So you know that Avast is still compatible. I don't recommend Sygate anymore--I love it and it used to be my favorite firewall, but it was bought out by Symantec and is no longer developed--if you do ever have any problems with it you may not find the support you need as the old Sygate forums are shutdown now as well.

I tried out Jetico a few years ago but uninstalled it quickly as I found it to be very user unfriendly--maybe it has changed now. Outpost free has not caused me any problems on 98SE:
http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpostfree/index.php

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users