Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel 2000 files saved in temporary documents

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 borlou11

borlou11

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:29 PM

Very often when I make document changes in my Excel 2000, I get the following message when I save the file:
Your changes could not be saved to "xxxxx", but were saved to a temporary document named "1234". Close the existing document then open the temporary document and save it under a new name"
Then I have to rename the "1234" back to "xxxxx" file. What can I do to save my original file normaly under the same name ?
I am using Windows 2000 Professional.
Thank you !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

One computer? Networked computer?
Where is the original file? Do you have rights to modify it?
any chance the original file is corrupted in some way?
Could it be that the destination parent directory or the file itself is read only or owned by another user?
Its a strange error, so you do need to give more details.

#3 borlou11

borlou11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

The files are on one computer with Windows 2000 Professional. They are situated on the Desktop or in Quick Launch. This computer is part of an internal network of two computers. I have right to modify them because my problem doesn't occur all the time. The original files are not corrupted because I used them almost every day. Sometimes they are saved normally and other times the problem occurs. The files are checked as archive in the Attribute, under Properties. They are not owned by any user. Anybody can have access to them. I use Microsoft Excel 2000, version 9.0.
Anything else that will help you ?

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:45 AM

There is another article here that describes the identical issue provided services for mac is enabled on the volume it's saved to. Hotfix is available in the upper left hand corner of the page in the unlikely event it's actually the issue. Can't hurt to check.
Being the problem is sporadic, i'd suspect another app interfering (i.e. AV, etc)

#5 borlou11

borlou11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:19 PM

Sorry, I am in a rush period and did not have time to try your advise "HitSquad". Will try to do it on the week-end. I have to backup my files first. Will come back to you as soon as I am done.

Edited by boradusud, 29 January 2009 - 05:21 PM.

#6 borlou11

borlou11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

TU "TOS226" and "HitSquad". Seems the Hotfix worked well. Don't have my problem for several days now. Sorry for the delay.

#7 borlou11

borlou11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

My problem came back again. I noticed that it happened only with the same 2 files. When I compared them with my other Excel files, I found the solution of the problem. Those 2 files were classified as FILE instead of MICROSOFT EXCEL WORKSHEET under the TYPE column in Microsoft Explorer.
Many tks for helping me.

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:46 AM

You're welcome, glad you got it fixed.
Thanks for letting us know what the problem was. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic