Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undeleteable file..

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:52 PM

Hi folx..
I picked up something I can't get rid of.. It's a file called "demo.flv" It's 5.3 mb in size and it's hidden in one of folders that you have to open five times to get to it (folder in folder situation) When you get to final folder, you can do nothing with it.
Normally when you right click on folder you get option to open, rename, delete etc. Here you don't.. Any other option you click leads to nowhere.
I already tried Unlocker, FileAssasin, Knoppix and East-Tec Eraser without any results. In Knoppix I could open final folder and open the file but it won't let me rename, edit or delete it.
I'm running all security programs you can get, and not one reported anything suspicious. Even HijackThis ain't showing anything strange running.
Is there any other way or program that would delete that file that you guys know of? My computer is running great and I wouldn't even notice that file if I didn't want to throw it away yesterday..
I have Eset Smart Security, Spybot S&D with TeaTimer running always, MalwareBites, NoScript addon in Firefox and CounterSpy all with most recent definitions, so I keep asking myself, how the heck can anything pass all that security.. :thumbsup:

Edited by Notorious, 26 January 2009 - 12:53 PM.

Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willox304

Willox304

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

Have you tried deleting it whilst in safe mode,
to get to save mode keep hitting F8 whilst booting your pc :thumbsup:

#3 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

First thing I did.. That's why I booted from Knoppix CD. I can try to hook C drive as a slave and start from another drive..
I haven't done that yet..
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#4 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

Hello.

Please give us the exact location of the file in question.

With Regards,
The Panda

#5 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

Hi Panda.. :thumbsup:
C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\Downloads\Photoshop Tutorials\Photo Frame.old\OnOne.Photo.Frame.Pro.3.1.1\OnOne.Photo.Frame.Pro.3.1.1\onOne.PhotoFrame.Pro.v3.1.1 <-- After this folder there is another one called "demostration"
And that one contains file I'm talking about. You can't open or delete that folder in Windows.
Posted Image

#6 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

Hello Notorious.

It doesn't look like a bad file to me.

The filepath is just too long and Windows doesn't like it. Are there any other files in the folders leading up to the file?

If not, rename the folders to one letter names, and their subfolders until you can open the file. Copy the file onto your desktop and send it up to Jotti to be scanned.

**Don't try to rename the "Desktop" folder.

Please post back the scan results.

With Regards,
The Panda

Edited by PropagandaPanda, 26 January 2009 - 04:00 PM.

#7 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

You can't rename anything in that folder.. :thumbsup: I did drag/drop whole thing to Jotty folder. Is that good enough?

Edited by Notorious, 26 January 2009 - 04:16 PM.

Posted Image

#8 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hello.

Can you rename any of those folders? Doesn't have to be the last one.

You should be able to.. I think.

With Regards,
The Panda

#9 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:23 PM

UMBELIVABLE!!!!!!! :thumbsup: After move to Jotti folder I'm able to rename all folders and open "demostration" folder as well.. Shall I delete that file now?
Posted Image

#10 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

Upload the file to the Jotti scan.

Let's see if it is of any threat.

With Regards,
The Panda

#11 Notorious

Notorious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:34 PM

Done.. Thank you for your assistance.. :flowers:
PS. I just saw scan result on Jotti's page and it came out clean.. :thumbsup:
Great site btw.. I didn't know about it..
Now, there is something else bothering me.. Why couldn't I change anything in Downloads folder and on desktop yes?????

Edited by Notorious, 26 January 2009 - 04:40 PM.

Posted Image

#12 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

Glad I could help. It was Galadriel who told me about the problem Windows has with long file paths.

Why couldn't I change anything in Downloads folder and on desktop yes?????

I'm not entirely sure. I'm guessing that the Explorer, which you were viewing the folder through before could not handle the long paths, while the file selection box could. They are separate.

With Regards,
The Panda

#13 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

Just to add a little precision.

Windows has trouble handling file paths that exceed a certain length. I think it is 255 or 256 characters (spaces, slashes, colons and all count as chars). Anything above that will cause it to error out. Moving the folders or the files that cause the issue, to the root of the drive, will fix that problem. In your case, the file path you gave was incomplete, so I can't really say for sure how many characters there were, but it looks like that was the problem.

It happens, especially when files are zipped and the folder tree is maintained in the archive. Upon extraction, if it isn't extracted to the root, this adds to the path making it too long and invalid.

See this for an explanation.
Naming Windows Files - Restrictions and Limitations
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users