Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

inadvertently deleted Display adapter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 archerdog

archerdog

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:31 PM

:thumbsup: I've disabled the display adapter in settings and now when I boot up, It gets as far as XP loading screen and then display goes blank. So I am unable to get back in to change it back as I can't see anything. My mainboard is MSI K8T NEO without on-board display, AGP card is Geforce 6600 128ddr. Tried safe mode, repair install of XP Pro but no joy. No luck with BIOS settings either. Tried other cards in the hope that XP would pick up at boot up but no luck. Does this mean a reinstall of the OS?
cheers.

Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

Tried other cards

Did you try a PCI video card? Any card from an old computer will do. What happens if you go into the bios and try to assign another IRQ to the AGP slot (if you can)?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 archerdog

archerdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:12 AM

Can't alter the AGP BIOS settings. I'm fairly sure there is a major problem with the board as only one of the PCI slots actually works. However, even with new MOBO am I still going to have to reinstall windows to be able to alter the display setting?
Cheers.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:26 AM

If you mean that you want to install a new mobo and boot with your current hard drive that won't work, unless you get exactly the same mobo and then you will still have the disabled display adapter. When you install an operating system it configures itself to the hardware present and if you then change that hardware the OS won't know that and will continue to try and boot the previous configuration. In most cases the boot will fail.

You can try the Recovery Console in Windows XP.

The bootcfg command is a Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console command that manipulates the Boot.ini file. This command has a function that can scan your hard disks for Microsoft Windows NT, Microsoft Windows 2000, and Windows XP installations, and then add them to an existing Boot.ini file or rebuild a new Boot.ini file, if one does not exist. The bootcfg command enables additional Boot.ini file parameters to be added to existing or new entries.

So, if you can find the line in the Boot.ini file concerning your display adapter, you can remove/alter the line to enable the adapter.

Let us know if that works.

Edited by Leurgy, 27 May 2005 - 06:27 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 archerdog

archerdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:42 PM

Installed XP over the top of existing installation. Now got my display back. However, there's definitely a problem with the mainboard, so now I'll move on to that.
Thanks for your help to all who made suggestions.
Cheers

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users