Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Verifier

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

Started my Vista machine returning from Hibernate. Blue screened and a message came up that there were unsigned drivers and that I should run the driver verifier. Had never heard of it before but I ran anyway. Came up with two. One is unknown and the other was for Intervideo. I found both drivers in windows-drivers. The two that were listed are

1) bantext.sys
2) iviaspi.sys

Should I delete these two files from my Windows-Drivers folder?? I like Intervideo but can do without it if I must. Any suggestions would sure be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:26 AM

No, I would like to know the eror mesage. In the run box type in performance>this will highlight the performance and reliability monitor>go to the day of the error and you will see a red x>click on it and it will give the error. Post the results.
MCP
MSDST

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:18 AM

Monty,

I'm running Vista Ultimate with SP1. I have just lived with several issues since I built this system. Originally I built the computer for Windows XP. After running the Vista Readiness Test, I thought I had worked out all the hardware that would be a problem but I think the motherboard I have (MSI K8N Neo4-F) Jjust won't work right with Vista. MSI does not show this board as Vista Compatible but when I upgraded I checked the site and it did not show that it wasn't. I have had more problems with BSODs due to video but have had to live with them. My version of Vista Ultimate is for System Builders which makes changing boards not an option.

Here is a picture of the Reliability Monitor. Let me know where you would want me to go from here. I've not used it before and am unsure what to do. I really appreciate your willingness to look into this problem for me.

Steve Bell

Attached Files

#4 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:25 AM

Monty007,

Here is another message I was able to bring up. Has to do with NVidia. I have had many problems with these drivers as well (since I first installed Vista!) It has gotten better with new updates from NVidia.

Attached Files

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

Hi Jazz, update your video driver to the latest version http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
The two drivers that are causing problems seem to be XP drivers. I would first back up all your important files and docs to a removable media. Also creates a system restore point. Imstead of deleating the drivers you could reneame the folders e.g. put a 1 at the front of the folder e.g. 1bantext.sys
MCP
MSDST

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

An unsigned driver is just that. It doesn't mean that there's a problem with the driver.

Also, choosing the wrong settings in Driver Verifier can result in your system becoming unbootable - it's not a tool to use unless you're prepared to do a full recovery "just in case".

The "proper" result of an investigation with Driver Verifier is that you'll get a BSOD with more information on the particular driver that caused the crash. If this occurs early enough, you won't even be able to get into Safe Mode to disable the Driver Verifier settings.

The information that refers to the little red x's in the Reliability Monitor is the information needed to start troubleshooting this. The last one in that screenshot is a driver related message stating that a driver corrupted your memory. If you did get a BSOD after enabling Driver Verifier, you'll have to perform an analysis of the memory dump file according to these directions: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users