Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing asupplicant.dll

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 meadams29

meadams29

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

I have a netgear wireless pc card and first it asked me to put in windows98 second edition disc which I did now it says missing asupplicant .dll file

Edited by meadams29, 25 January 2009 - 10:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

Hello meadams29 & welcome to the forum!

To my knowledge, asupplicant.dll is not a standard Windows 98 file.

What version of 98 are you running?
To find out RIGHT click on My Computer and go to properties. It will tell you the version there.
Please post as that is important.

I have tried to get Windows 98 to work wirelessly on my laptop before. Wireless and 98 is iffy at best.
Whats the model number of the Netgear PC card?
Do the system requirements say that it does work with 98?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Netranger

Netranger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:05 AM

H./ Just got the same thing happen to me. I reinstalled Windows98SE on a laptop and got a Netgear WR511T and same things came up.. " missing asupplicant.dll"...... Can't find out what this file is... :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

Jim

#4 bgsan

bgsan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:08 PM

Same thing happened to me too. Toshiba laptop, windows 98SE. I had downloaded the latest version 5.2 from the Netgear website. I found the original cdrom with version 4.0 on it. It installed the drivers correctly. However, in this version, only wep security is available. I removed version 4.0 and installed 5.2 again hoping that it would work now. No luck. Again asupplicant.dll missing. Re-installed version 4.0, and it works fine, however in WEP security only as i mentioned before.
Funny thing is, asupplicant.dll is still not on my harddisk.

#5 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

hello all

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/PCM200

product specs says it works with win98

http://cgi.ebay.com/Linksys-PCM200-PCMCIA-...:1|293:1|294:50

comes with install disc
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#6 trom

trom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:15 PM

Me too, guess it's a Win2k or later file. The last version that does work (for me) for W98 is 5.0 :

WG511T Software Version 5.0

You get an odd message (like 5.2) when installing that says you must be admin, but just say OK, it doesn't stop anything.

I'm using a dual boot W98/W2K Vaio (old) laptop and I was getting better throughput in 2000 with V5.2. Also the country setting wasn't being remembered in v5.0, so I thought I give the latest version a try. Didn't work...

Got the missing 'asupplicant.dll', which brought me to this forum. I too used to use v4.4 (and previously whatever was in the box) but 5.0 has been working for me since August 2007, so I'm thankful it's stable.

As an aside, when I went to the Netgear support site to check system requirements today, I left them an "unhelpful" comment that, they should say what works with W98.

Hope 5.0 works for you.
Trom

PS. Here's the About Box (not shown on support page and versions don't seem to tally with what they say either)

Attached File  NETGEAR_5.0_About.JPG   52.55KB   26 downloads

#7 F. Christ

F. Christ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:26 AM

For those using Win98/98se on laptops I found a quick solution.

If you have a 2000 or newer desktop install the software there then look under the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder for the ASUPPLICANT.DLL file and transfer it via Flash Drive or other media to the 98's %system% folder and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

Regards,

-Frank C.

#8 player99

player99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

I also got the 'missing asupplicant.dll' message when I tried to install v5.2 on Win98. I followed Trom's advice and downloaded v5.0. It installed and is running with no problem. Thanks Trom for doing the heavy lifting. :thumbsup:

#9 eastmobiles

eastmobiles

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:36 AM

Buddy why are you still using windows98? Just curious, no offense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users