Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista "Complete PC Restore" doesn't recognize backup files.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dhenne23

dhenne23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

I've seen posts on other forums discussing this issue, but the resolutions are not really directly on point...or they are so extreme they are unreasonable..unless you have lost a file that just cannot be replaced. Here goes.

Since running VISTA Ultimate I have encountered the issue where VISTA gets stuck at the WELCOME screen after entering login credentials. After having to rebuild several times because of this, I decided to get an external USB drive and back the machine up using the tool "Vista Complete PC Backup/Restore". I backed the machine up weekly. Several times the "welcome" issue appeared and I was able to restore the box back to the most current backup...without incident.

Yesterday the sticky WELCOME happened again, so I attached my USB drive and went into PC REPAIR and started the process to restore the entire PC from a backup.

I get the message Vista "Complete PC Restore" doesn't recognize backup files or something similar (no locations) and the option to enter a location manually is not available.

I rebuilt the machine using the HP recovery disks and it is now running in its base configuration, without any of my additional software or configuration.

I can see the USB drive, and I can see the directory where the backup files are held. (I named the PC to the exact name when I rebuilt it), but I still get the same message when trying to rebuild.

Any help is appreciated.

TKS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:28 PM

Did you boot from you install DVD to do this?

#3 dhenne23

dhenne23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

No. I don't have a "VISTA" disk. I have the 2 disk HP recovery set....which only lets you rebuild..which I did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users